• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Deaths within days of eachother

Bob999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Good evening. I didn't know who else to turn too.

10 days ago, my guinea pig passed away, leaving her sister, who they always shared a cage with, now this evening, her sister has passed away.

I don't know what's happened, or why this has happened? Can someone shed some light? In April I bought them a double cage, up and down so they wouldn't fight, she had water and food, they both did.

Each time I've just gone back to check on them , food ext, and they've just been lying there dead.

The past few days she's been wheeling but I thought it was for her sister. I also noticed she looked a bit fatter than normal, rounder belly, she also seemed to be sleeping a little more than the usual but as I say I thought it was all the sadness

What'did I do wrong? I feel awful!

Aw :(( first of all, I’m so sorry for your losses! They seemed like amazing piggies and I can’t imagine having to deal with twice the grief, please take your time to grieve over your precious girls. Do you know if your piggies came to you with any sickness/condition/anomaly? I’m not sure what could have caused their deaths. It’s possible they could have died from heart attacks, or the first piggie died of something unrelated, and the second pig died of sadness and stress from losing her sister. I would get advice from more experienced members on the forum, I’m not sure about this, it’s just an idea. Maybe if you really wanted to know there could be autopsies done on your two girls? I’m not sure if vets do guinea pig autopsies, but it could be possible.

Aw :(( first of all, I’m so sorry for your losses! They seemed like amazing piggies and I can’t imagine having to deal with twice the grief, please take your time to grieve over your precious girls. Do you know if your piggies came to you with any sickness/condition/anomaly? I’m not sure what could have caused their deaths. It’s possible they could have died from heart attacks, or the first piggie died of something unrelated, and the second pig died of sadness and stress from losing her sister. I would get advice from more experienced members on the forum, I’m not sure about this, it’s just an idea. Maybe if you really wanted to know there could be autopsies done on your two girls? I’m not sure if vets do guinea pig autopsies, but it could be possible.

Hey thank you. One of my girls is buried and laid to rest at the moment.

I got the piggies from a lady, she ended up with like lots of them because she mixed a boy and a girl up my mistake and they breed (brother and sister) I think. I've still got her details so I might message her to ask if hers are still alive, I just don't want her to think I neglected them. The second guinea Sophie, had a lot of poo when she died, it must have all came out? The first one didn't
I'm just in shock, she was lonley all week, and you could tell in her face, but I thought she was just sad , so we petted her and fed her ect, and this happens.

Hey thank you. One of my girls is buried and laid to rest at the moment.

I got the piggies from a lady, she ended up with like lots of them because she mixed a boy and a girl up my mistake and they breed (brother and sister) I think. I've still got her details so I might message her to ask if hers are still alive, I just don't want her to think I neglected them. The second guinea Sophie, had a lot of poo when she died, it must have all came out? The first one didn't
I'm just in shock, she was lonley all week, and you could tell in her face, but I thought she was just sad , so we petted her and fed her ect, and this happens.
Hm, your piggies parents were brother and sister, correct? If so, that could be the cause of their death, usually animals that are the product of two siblings mating they usually are born weak or with unnoticed health problems and or deformities. I’m not sure, but that could be the cause. And I’m sure she will not think you neglected them at all, I’m sure you had them in the best possible care. And maybe the poo could’ve been a result of an impaction? Or, she could’ve passed it all at once as her muscles started to weaken before she died. Again, I’m so sorry for your losses and I hope you get this sorted out soon! :(( I’m always here, so feel free to message me!

Hm, your piggies parents were brother and sister, correct? If so, that could be the cause of their death, usually animals that are the product of two siblings mating they usually are born weak or with unnoticed health problems and or deformities. I’m not sure, but that could be the cause. And I’m sure she will not think you neglected them at all, I’m sure you had them in the best possible care. And maybe the poo could’ve been a result of an impaction? Or, she could’ve passed it all at once as her muscles started to weaken before she died. Again, I’m so sorry for your losses and I hope you get this sorted out soon! :(( I’m always here, so feel free to message me!

My girls are just over 2, coming on 3 at the end of the year. From what I remember, she had some Guinea's and they mated and had babies, then she separated the males and females but mistook one male for a female and the female ended up pregs and ended up having more babies. I think they was siblings but I can't remember specifically it was a few years ago now.

My first guinea was actually found under a fleece I have for them on the downstairs, I had it a few months, but change it, and she was underneath it, I thought she maybe suffocated, but she could have easily got out, they are always moving it around, same with the wooden hoot

I'm sorry for your loss. There's no way to know for sure short of an autopsy, and even that may not reveal a cause. Some possibilities are a contagious illness or an environmental contaminant. Guinea pigs are prey animals and hide illness well. It's possible one had an illness and passed it to the other (respiratory illnesses in guinea pigs can hit hard and worsen very quickly.) This would account for two piggies in close contact dying within a short time of each other. Was anything in the environment different? Heat? Cold? A change of food? That's also something to consider.

Again, many ((HUGS)) to you... so sorry you have lost two loved pets in such a short time. It's so hard not having a clear reason as well. I really don't think it was anything you did, so please try not to blame yourself.

I’m sorry to hear you’ve lost your two girls - take care

I'm sorry for your loss. There's no way to know for sure short of an autopsy, and even that may not reveal a cause. Some possibilities are a contagious illness or an environmental contaminant. Guinea pigs are prey animals and hide illness well. It's possible one had an illness and passed it to the other (respiratory illnesses in guinea pigs can hit hard and worsen very quickly.) This would account for two piggies in close contact dying within a short time of each other. Was anything in the environment different? Heat? Cold? A change of food? That's also something to consider.

Again, many ((HUGS)) to you... so sorry you have lost two loved pets in such a short time. It's so hard not having a clear reason as well. I really don't think it was anything you did, so please try not to blame yourself.

Thank you x
I keep them inside, they are next to the windows, always open to let air in, sometimes I have the fan on

Thank you x
I keep them inside, they are next to the windows, always open to let air in, sometimes I have the fan on
That all sounds perfectly fine... I really don't think this was anything that you did wrong in the slightest. It's impossible to know for sure, which is so hard. I would really wonder about an infectious illness that passed from one to the other... respiratory and other illnesses can hit quickly, worsen really quickly, and lead to death within a day (or even a few hours) in pets who seemed fine the day prior. I've lost pigs like that myself, and it's always a shock. Again, so sorry and many ((HUGS)) to you.

There are many (I would say probably most) of us on here who have lost pigs unexpectedly or to unexplained causes. It is so sad that you have had this double blow but as others have said our pigs are a nightmare because they hide illnesses so well, and their health can be so unpredictable. We just have to treasure each day with them. Please don't blame yourself or lose confidence as an owner, I'm sure future pigs would have a wonderful life with you if you decide to try again 💜

That all sounds perfectly fine... I really don't think this was anything that you did wrong in the slightest. It's impossible to know for sure, which is so hard. I would really wonder about an infectious illness that passed from one to the other... respiratory and other illnesses can hit quickly, worsen really quickly, and lead to death within a day (or even a few hours) in pets who seemed fine the day prior. I've lost pigs like that myself, and it's always a shock. Again, so sorry and many ((HUGS)) to you.

Thank you so much. Its just a complete worry. I just hope they are in a better place now.

There are many (I would say probably most) of us on here who have lost pigs unexpectedly or to unexplained causes. It is so sad that you have had this double blow but as others have said our pigs are a nightmare because they hide illnesses so well, and their health can be so unpredictable. We just have to treasure each day with them. Please don't blame yourself or lose confidence as an owner, I'm sure future pigs would have a wonderful life with you if you decide to try again 💜

Thank you so much ❤️

I've spoken to the owner and she says all her siblings are all okay and fine, all alive. Unlike my two. I'm just obviously trying not to look too much into it but maybe was just a illness. As I say, the second one looked more bloated before she passed away.

So sorry you lost both of your little ladies x
Sleep tight little ones 🌈

Back