• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig enclosure help- cage divided!

Freyaw100

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

My sister got two male guinea pigs a few years back as well as 3 enclosures, a run on the grass and a hutch and indoor run inside a shed we built for them. All was okay until they stayed at a ‘Guinea pig Hotel’ whilst we were away on holiday and were too close to female guinea pigs. They fought and one had to be taken to the vets. Since then they’ve had to be separated as if they go together they just fight! However, they like to be able to see each other and will often sit next to each other.

Because of this each enclosure has had to be split, both the runs have a see through part down the middle and they each have one floor on the hutch. Due to my sister becoming a teenager, I’ve taken the responsibilities of the Guinea pigs!

Although the housing size was fine when they could be together, now they obviously only have half that amount of space as it’s divided between the two. They got houses in both indoor enclosures (as well as enrichment) and tunnels and stuff outside. I’m not so much concerned about the outdoor run as it was a lot bigger than the minimum needed so they have plenty of space. However, I feel they have barely any space inside the shed and as the winter months drag on I feel awful for them!

My question is does anyone have any suggestions on if it’s possible to make them bond again so they can be housed together/how to do so? And also if it’s okay to continue going forward like this? They have got extra enrichment indoors to try and keep their minds busy and they get grass and hay every day.

Unfortunately the only possible space for another indoor run is on top of their current one (there is only enough floor space to open the hutch doors/run doors currently in the shed). The problem is the run doesn’t have a solid floor and is a cage at the top so I’d have to find something to place between the two runs. And also then they won’t be able to see each other during the day which they currently like doing! It’s so frustrating that they clearly like to be together but then if they are able to touch each other they just fight!

They used to be housed inside before we got the shed but we have a dog who just sits and cries when next to them and the Guinea pigs were getting stressed out!

Any help is appreciated, on re-bonding them or ways to maximise the space! Just counting down the days until it’s warm enough for them to go back out and have more space.

I’m sorry to hear this.

Sadly if there has been a full fight and injuries then they can never have rebonded.

Their cages do need to be side by side at all times for full interaction.
They each need a space measuring a minimum of 120x60cm. That is the minimum welfare sizing for a single piggy so is fine is that is all they have but obviously the more you can provide the better.

I think it might help if you could show us pictures if your current set up along with measurements of shed

I have four boys and they also live in my shed.
Two of them live together as a bonded pair in the upper level of a hutch.
I also have two single piggies who were a pair but they had a fight when the teens hit and have lived side by side for just over a year now.
One of them lives in the bottom level of the hutch and the other lives in a commercial cage which sits in an L shape to the hutch so they each have a side of their enclosures which is touching.
They then use the rest of the floor space in the shed directly in front is their cages, as a run area during the day. I either have that area divided so they are both out at the same or one stays in their cage while the other runs the whole area (hope that makes sense!).

Living like this is perfectly fine. They get the companionship they need through the bars but don’t have to share territory. They are much happier.

Back