• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig is floppy and can’t move

Caroline654

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey so my gunnies pig is named Pepsi and we got her last November. She is super happy and loves to run around the house. We always watch her and her favorite thing to do is climb the stairs and explore. Recently she’s been having many health problems and we took her to the vet. She wasn’t eating and pooping. Thankfully she’s been getting better. But one day we woke up and we found her not being able to walk. She was floppy and wasn’t able to move at all. We think this is a calcium delicacy so we bought some joint support from oxbow and vitamin c drops. We don’t know if we should take her to the vet or stick to the tablets and see where this goes. She also broke her teeth and after doing researched it was said that it would grow back. She’s probably one of the best things that’s ever happened to me and I don’t want anything bad to happen to her. So if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

A guinea pig who is floppy and unresponsive needs emergency vet care now definitely not home remedies or supplements, please contact an emergency vet immediately, this will not resolve on its own or wait until another day!

Thank you for informing me I told my parents this but they shrugged it of. Last time went to the vet they ripped us off and made us pay hundreds of dollars. Now my parents are annoyed that we have to pay for another vet visit. I have to inform them and get her to the vet again.

Thank you for informing me I told my parents this but they shrugged it of. Last time went to the vet they ripped us off and made us pay hundreds of dollars. Now my parents are annoyed that we have to pay for another vet visit. I have to inform them and get her to the vet again.

Hi!

I am very sorry for the bad situation you are finding yourself in.

Any floppy piggy is in danger of dying and needs to see a vet as an emergency.

Please read the guide link to see what you can do in the meantime to keep her alive if possible until you can see a vet but also including what you can do for a dying guinea pig. The advice does NOT replace any necessary vet visit.

Unfortunately there is no 'cheap' pet, and as vets are NOT paid for by tax money unlike the NHS, there is no cheap vet care.
Access to veterinary care (freedom from pain and suffering) is one of the five basic animal rights that are internationally recognised.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Fingers firmly crossed!

Thank you soo much for the kind words. Unfortunately she passed away. It turns out she was in great pain. Her stomach was injured and her spine was fragile. She must have hot herself while jumping in her cage because she loved to do that. They tried their best to save her but god gained another angel that day. Thank you all for alerting me and keeping Pepsi in your prayers!❤️

Thank you soo much for the kind words. Unfortunately she passed away. It turns out she was in great pain. Her stomach was injured and her spine was fragile. She must have hot herself while jumping in her cage because she loved to do that. They tried their best to save her but god gained another angel that day. Thank you all for alerting me and keeping Pepsi in your prayers!❤

I am ever so sorry! Once piggies are floppy and lethargic they are sadly often already dying. You have made absolute the right decision and spared her a slow and painful death. Sometimes it is the only but at the same time the most loving and precious gift we can give a beloved pet. :(
You are welcome to post a tribute in our Rainbow Bridge if you wish to any time.

You may find these links here helpful for yourself and any piggy companion:
Death, Dying, Terminal Illness and Grieving: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

RIP Pepsi. She sounds like she was full of character, she will be very much missed 😔.
Zoom free over rainbow bridge, Pepsi! 🌈🌈🌈

Thank you soo much for the kind words. Unfortunately she passed away. It turns out she was in great pain. Her stomach was injured and her spine was fragile. She must have hot herself while jumping in her cage because she loved to do that. They tried their best to save her but god gained another angel that day. Thank you all for alerting me and keeping Pepsi in your prayers!❤
I am so sorry for your loss :(

Back