• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig is very ill.

SuperPig2003

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 2 guinea pigs. Both girls.

Ginger - The dominant one. Ginger and white, chubby, born in 2013, turns 7 this October. She was a Christmas present.
Penny - The athletic smaller one. Black, white and bronze, thin, born in 2014, turns 7 in 2021. She was a birthday present.

Penny is very ill, lost weight, limping, looks very tired and looks very frail. Her neck looks swollen. She also stumbles and falls when she walks. Vets are hard to come by because of the virus. It feels terrible to see. Just can't help watching my pet slowly deteriorate over time.

Our guinea pigs.PNG

What should I do!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
:agr: Please have her seen by a vet. Vets are still seeing sick animals and she sounds pretty sick and in need of an examination.

SuperPig2003

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear she is unwell.
Despite the virus, vets will still see urgent cases and I am afraid this does sound like an urgent case. Please have her seen by a vet. In the meantime, I will add in some links to guides on how to look after her including syringe feeding her.

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Thank you for your response. Hopefully I can get through to the vets. I'm very worried, she's such a great pet.

Thanks for the links, I'll check it out for sure.

From what I described, what does it sound like? Her swollen neck also has a slight graze/cut. I have no idea on what to do, hopefully your links help out. I just don't her to suffer. Thank you.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Awww I hope you can get her seen as soon as possible by a vet.... she is a good age bless her xx

SuperPig2003

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:agr: Please see a vet as soon as you can!

In the meantime please read our emergency and crisis care guide, which tells you everything you need in order to support your piggy as best as possible until you can see a vet and until any medication can kick in.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Totally, I will take a read. For now we are pampering her. We had to separate her from her Ginger since she runs around and pushes Penny playfully. But Penny isn't able to get back up by herself. Thanks for your comment, hopefully it turns out okay.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I would email the vet now and the. call early tomorrow morning as soon as they open - try to get an appointment for the same day. No one can tell you what the swelling is unfortunately. Hope your piggy can be helped. Let us know how it goes.

SuperPig2003

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awww I hope you can get her seen as soon as possible by a vet.... she is a good age bless her xx
Yeah, it's crazy that these days have come. I never thought that it would happen like this. 6 years old Penny, she was so athletic prior to this.

SuperPig2003

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would email the vet now and the. call early tomorrow morning as soon as they open - try to get an appointment for the same day. No one can tell you what the swelling is unfortunately. Hope your piggy can be helped. Let us know how it goes.
Will do. I'm not even sure how to handle her to take her to the vet, she looks so frail! Honestly, we aren't sure if she is going to make the night. Me and my mum were with her. She can't even stay up on her legs, just trying to move at this point. She looks very tired, eating food at such a slow rate. Her nose is bleeding. Her mouth is drooling. It's just terrible. It all happened so fast. This morning (13hrs ago), she was walking around fine. 2 days ago, there wasn't even a problem at all! We noticed the swelling under her neck last night. I will let you know how it goes. It's quite late her (UK time 00:48), I'm just dreading to wake up and see her tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
With the bleeding I’d call your your usual vet now and see if they provide an out of hours vet you can go and see. That and the drooling is an emergency. Call the vet number now and see how to proceed.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Have you read through the emergency care thread that was linked above?

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How did the night go? Did you manage to call the out of hours vet? X

Anna12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Sounds very serious. Hoping the vet managed to see your guinea as soon as possible and something can be done.