• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig lost appetite after neurering - any tips of tricks greatly appreciated!

Jeslubur

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Our piggies were neutered last Tuesday and since then one of them has been feeling poorly and lost his appetite somewhat.

Last Saturday we took him to the vets where he was given some medication to get his gut going after I noticed him not eating that morning.

After the vet visit he perked up and seemed to be back to his normal self.

However, on Tuesday morning (one week post op), he seemed to go down hill again and wasn’t himself.

Popped him back to the vets and he was given an injection for fluids under the skin, some more medication for his gut and I was also give some antibiotics and gut medication to administer daily.

Since Tuesday he has been taking this medication (emeprid oral 0.5ml, ranitidine 0.34ml and co-trimoxazole 0.31ml) twice a day, along with 0.38ml metacam in the morning.

I’ve also been syringe feeding him since Tuesday. Plus I’ve been syringing him water as I felt he was dehydrated.

In terms of eating by himself, he’ll nibble at a few bits of veggies. He’ll eat a bit of hay and also some fresh grass. But no where near as much as normal.

He has been pooing, his poos are a little smaller than normal but no diarrhoea.

He’s also quite tired but I’m guesskng that’s because he’s not got much energy.

If anyone has any advice or experience of this it would be greatly appreciated!

We’re going back to the vets with him tonight.

Thanks x

@Jeslubur What are you syringe feeding and how much? Are you weighing him? Is he losing weight?

One of my pigs was neutered a couple of weeks ago. He didn't eat a lot on his first night home but the day after he was back to normal and he's dashing around the cage like nothing is wrong now.

So, there's something not right with your boy. You might need to feed him more. You can also try syringe feeding different things to try to tempt him to eat. Some pigs really like different nuggets and sometimes you can add in a bit of baby food.

He may also need different gut motility drugs to get him interested again. There's Zantac and Cisapride that can be used alongside Emeprid.

Hope he perks up soon.
A few years ago when I had a boar neutered he stopped eating for a day.
The vet hospital recommended some mashed banana.
Along with the mushed pellets and cuddles on a hot water bottle (wrapped in a towel) that did the trick.

I do think going back to the vets is a good idea.
Let us know how things go

Hi both,

Thanks for coming back to me!

I can’t remember the name of the liquid food (it was supplied to us by the vet) but I’ve been giving him 10-15ml about 4/5 times a day. He takes the syringe really well and is he quite happy to eat it.. doesn’t spit it out and doesn’t put up too much of a fight.

His brothers who also got neutered are absolutely fine and acting like normal... it’s just Pepsi who isn’t himself.

Maybe I’ll try some mashed banana later and try some different nuggets.

It just seems like he perks up for a while, and then gets lethargic again.

I have been weighing him and from what I can tell his lost about 45g in weight since Tuesday. But my scales aren’t the best!

But hopefully the vet will be able to have another good look at him tonight and give us some other options.

X

I can't offer any advice but do hope your piggy is ok. Sending healing thoughts. ❤️

Sadly, I've had this happen twice, and both times they were fine for a bit after neutering (with a very cavy savvy vet) and then went downhill, alternating like your boy between looking bright and being lethargic, and after a week or so of hand feeding etc, died.

I would suggest that you ask for the metacam dose to be split, so he is comfortable throughout the day. He is eating a good amount of food - well done getting that down him. In addition, he might take it in a bowl by himself. He may also like some oats (either dry or with water as 'porridge'), which is often used for underweight piggies. I think the small poos are because of a reduction of food intake, and if tear shaped, can indicate dehydration. Watery veg can help with dehydration, either naturally watery, like cucumber or washed and wet veg like lettuce.

You are doing a wonderful job with your boy; lots of hugs to you both and good wishes that he turns the corner and starts really perking up xx

p.s. I've also been given syringes to administer sub-cutaneous fluids by the vet sometimes - it's not difficult when shown how.

Hope all goes well at the vets this evening.
It is worrying when a pet is not well

Thank you everyone for your kind words! :) Its very worrying indeed. I'm such an animal lover so anything like this is always very stressful.

I popped home on my lunch break to see how he was doing and syringe him some more food. I have a juicer at home and whizzed up a few veggies with banana and some of the Supreme Science Recovery. Gave him a little bit of this and he absolutely lapped it up. After I put him back he started munching on some hay, so perhaps its stimulated his appetite! Have left a bit in a saucer when I went back to work so hoping that perks him up again.

We shall see! x

I agree with @Livia Rabideau that a probiotic would be good (like fibreplex). You need to give it at a different time from the antibiotics - I'm sure there is a sticky on here that gives instructions.

I'm glad he liked his food - you're such a devoted piggy slave to go home at lunchtime to feed him; it's a bit of a marathon with a sick guinea pig.

Vet thinks he has an abscess where he was neutered so we’re continuing with the antibiotics until next Tuesday!

Also discovered an abcess on one of our other boars too. So he’s on antibiotics too!

That’s fun for you.
I have a piggy with a small abscess who is on antibiotics as well.
Getting them into a reluctant piggy is no fun

Back