• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig Rescue Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
OK just got a call i've been asked to help with a rescue. I'll have to travel for over an hour to reach them (4 i think) and then back into the other side of the city to the rescue centre.
Should i take snacks etc? I believe the lady will be giving to me in a travel cage but i thought it might make them a little happier if i gave them some lettuce etc..
Anyway any advice would be terrific as i've never done this before, extremely nervous. Err don't know how to tell the OH yet, may just tell some white lies and not the full truth as it'll be my day off on Thursday so he wont know what I'm up to. ;D

cucumber is the best in that case.

it provides them with alot of fluid, as they wont have a water bottle for the drive, will they?

Id just put plenty of hay and cosy towels in so they can burrow themselves in it, and some cucumber for the road.

Great idea thanks.
Yeah thought i'd take some hay, towels a bowl and a bottle of water and perhaps stop at some stage and check up on them and see if any needed a drink etc..

Ive just made the experience that

a) its a real headache to fix a bottle to a transport cage
b) with all the bumps in the road they start leaking, and your piggies will have to sit in a wet spot at some point.

Cucumber is definately the best idea as they're more likely to nibble on it in hiding, than drink from a bottle in a strange environment. And A bottle will leak everywhere...........I always give them a piece of cucumber and a little bit of carrot just to secretly nibble on.

Yep thanks.
What i meant was tho i thought when i stopped i'd give them a drink then, wait awhile then take away the bottle and drive again, or do you think that might stress them more?

Yep! The cucumber will be available throughout the journey for them to nibble on whilst hiding away! They won't drink from a bottle in a strange environment and they'll get enough moisture for the journey from the cucumber and something to eat too!

besides, an hours drive isnt too bad...

Some people here have gone from Scotland -> down south..

so I think its a relatively short drive for them anyway. Mind you, the next vet clinic near me I have to drive half an hour to!

Yeah i get what you mean you guys have to travel long distances too, but for me the round trip will probably be at least 200 kilometers.

OK good idea for the cucumber don't want to stress the little munchkins.

OK it's on i'm going tomorrow.
Now i have to tell OH and i'm going to ask Dee if she'll come with me.
I'd like some moral support but she's so stressed out with exams, thank goodness last one tomorrow. Having been thru 2 boys and schooling it's soooo much different with a girl, more emotional, was i that bad?
Am waiting for an email as to how many piggies i'm picking up. Got lots of advice on food etc.. so will take a cooler pack with extra veggies etc...
Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back