1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Severe Weather predicted in the UK Monday 16th October - Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Anniversary Herd is proud to announce our Halloween / Guy Fawkes Photo competition for details please click.....here!. Closing date extended - until Tuesday 17th 18:00 GMT.
    Dismiss Notice

Guinea Pig Toys

Discussion in 'Housing and Enrichment' started by Laura-CCC4, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Maddy

Maddy Adult Guinea Pig

Chock loves the bull rush balls that you can get from pets at home and they are a very blind friendly toy as well as it sounds like he's rolling about in a pyle of autumn leaves when he plays with it
    If you have sevral pigs get sevral balls as they will all want one when one goes near one of them...
    The more pigs that play with them at the same time the less time they will last but i think its a texture thing with the way their teeth sink in to the woven rushes that atracts them in the 1st place.
    Also a cardboard box with holes cut in to it filled with hay are a hit as well :)

3Tyger likes this.
  2. MrsMoo

Forum Donator 2016/17

I will have to get some for my guineas to try next time I go to pets at home.

3Tyger likes this.
  3. DylElla

DylElla Junior Guinea Pig

I'm so excited to try these out; using bird toys never occurred to me, love the idea to hang toilet roll tubes, roll up newspaper into balls, thread carrot onto string.... so many to try and loads that my children can get involved with too.

3Tyger likes this.
  4. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

I love this thread! It's always disheartening when you buy costly toys and they just get ignored, so it's great to see all the stuff that can be made cheaply or free, and you have the additional assurance that the materials are safe.

Great ideas for young kids who might be pestering to continuously hold pigs; this is a really good way for them to interact and feel caring and involved without being overly hands-on with shy or nervy pigs.

Have got some good ideas for my 7 year old niece when she next comes to stay :tu:

3Tyger likes this.
  5. DylElla

DylElla Junior Guinea Pig

Poppy and Holly loved their hanging grass tube this morning.

IMG_4043.JPG

6. 3Tyger

Forum Donator 2016/17

Mine love chewing their large cardboard tube and log roll & hidey house. They also like pet loofah balls, Rowan in particular as he does pick them up and toss them around. They also like running under newspaper and ripping it up. In between playing they spend alot of time munching their feeding hay. They go through loads of Burgess hay bags each month! And when they get bored of all that they tunnel in their meadow hay and have a nap there. They're all very active and are always chatting to each other, i could watch them for hours! :luv:

7. Maddy

Maddy Adult Guinea Pig

yesterday i got some new toys from chockster
    a wooden log toy from wilco which has logs in little bits with the bark left on strung on a metal chain with a bell on the bottom but they have made the logs a bit bigger than they need to be so you can turn it in to a puzzle toy by hideing treets inside the bits of log so the pigs have to move them about to get the treets out
    a pack of 3 different textured balls which are all made out of different stuff as chock loves a ball to him self
    a carrot and hay cottage and a corn toy which has rattly things inside that he can eat eventually but i got that from my vets though

8. GinaG

GinaG Junior Guinea Pig

Silly question - what's safe to use to tie up things like loo rolls?

9. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

IMG_2574.JPG

Made this by cutting circles from a loo roll tube. I cut them 5mm-ish, you can get enough to make into a sphere. Any thicker and it won't be sphere-y, any thinner and it'll just fall apart. I then stuffed it with a fruit snack ball and nuggets. Depending on how much your pig devours cardboard, they can either gnaw through or roll it around till stuff falls out. My pigs aren't too fussed about cardboard unless it's to get to food, so they've done the least possible gnaw-age to make a big enough gap for the nuggets to be released :))

Warning! These are strangely addictive to make!

3Tyger likes this.
  10. 3Tyger

Forum Donator 2016/17

Gotta try this, my babies LOVE cardboard tubes and LOVE food (any food!) so this is sure to be a winning combination for them.

Thanks for sharing the idea ☺

11. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

Honestly, if you're anything like me (an easily pleased simpleton!) you'll have just as much enjoyment out of this as your pigs :))

3Tyger likes this.
  12. GinaG

GinaG Junior Guinea Pig

Inspired by the ideas on here this morning I strung up their veg & put a mix of coriander & fresh hay in their 'disco ball'....they loved it

IMG_8081.JPG

IMG_8082.JPG

13. Gimz

Gimz Teenage Guinea Pig

Please be careful with that disco ball as piggies have been known to get their heads stuck in there reaching for food. At the very least I would not have it in the cage without total supervision by you, at the most I would use something else to hold their food - I got rid one of one I bought for the same reason. It probably won't happen, but not worth the risk.

Kealey and GPTV like this.
  14. GinaG

GinaG Junior Guinea Pig

Oh god I didn't know that thank you so much I'll take it out now! It was sold in the shop as specifically food for piggies! Thank you, that's why this forum is so great

15. Gimz

Gimz Teenage Guinea Pig

No problem at all, unfortunately the staff at pet shops like pets at home are not properly trained and will sell you anything, including cages that are too small, pregnant guinea pigs that have been wrongly sexed and of course guinea pig toys that come with a risk attached - see our forum link here: Potentially Dangerous Cage Accessories And Toys

3Tyger likes this.
  16. Maddy

Maddy Adult Guinea Pig

Got the boys a couple of new toys should be arriving in the next couple days
    I large hey tunnel
    A gnaw stone stack and some more bull rush balls as stripy loves them moreethan chock

17. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

So, decided to make a snuffle mat! Had a quick peek online and kinda just made it up as I went along! I used:

- 1x fleece cut into strips. I used one from Poundland, it was 90cm x 60cm, I cut the strips to be about 3cm wide, length varied from 10cm to 20cm. The great thing is the strips don't need to be cut that neatly or accurately sized! I also had an off cut of different coloured fleece; this is a good idea to add different colours/textures.
    - 1x bath mat (this shows the bit I cut out). This one is from Poundland and is ideal because of the uniformly spaced holes.

I cut out a 'grid', I did a small square to start with as it's the first time I've made one.

IMG_0190.JPG

Then I just passed the strips through and tied them! I kept on until I'd run out of fleece strips, but luckily it was dense enough too.

This is an underside view:
    IMG_0193.JPG

And ta-da! I've sprinkled on a bit of forage stuff so the girls can have a rummage. I'm pretty chuffed with it :)
    IMG_0189.JPG

TheCavySlave likes this.
  18. TheCavySlave

TheCavySlave Adult Guinea Pig

Awesome snuffle mat! And I am oddly addicted to making those cardboard balls- the boys seem to demolish them, and their other balls, very slowly- a gnaw here, a chew there. Hmm. Often it's just Duncan knocking them out of the way with his front paw, which is amazingly cute.

Tiny likes this.
  19. ChloeCee98

ChloeCee98 Teenage Guinea Pig

Can piggies have plastic balls ? Like little ones x

20. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

Unless they are feed balls with little holes, I would stay away from them. Solid ones are usually ignored and open ones can cause injuries from getting stuck.
    Potentially Dangerous Cage Accessories And Toys

ChloeCee98 likes this.