• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Guinea Pig Toys

Nathan2002

Junior Guinea Pig
Toys to Hide In

Hideys are good to use out on the floor or in the run to help encourage a feeling of safety, which in turn encourages more exploration. A lot of owners believe strongly in never giving a guinea pig hidey toys, as they feel a guinea pig who is allowed to hide away will struggle to get used to their environment. Many dispute this claim, saying that it is in a guinea pigs nature to run from anything they perceive as a threat, so to take away their safe places (hideys) is unfair and increases the fear the animals feel. These owners say they experience far better results when the animal has been allowed the opportunity to exhibit their natural behaviour, and the guinea pig settles quicker into a new home if allowed to feel secure in the early days. The provision of a hidey house or two is personal choice.

• Plastic step stools
  • Cardboard boxes
  • Box shelving (found in DIY stores)
  • Upside-down bucket (entrance hole cut into the sides)
  • Bent-grid tunnels (made by bending a C&C grid)

• Igloos/cocoons (affectionately known as “pigloos” in the guinea pig world)
  • Bendy wooden logs (Fiddlestix)
  • Wooden huts/log cabins
  • Plastic 'waffle' huts
  • Wigwams (fabric)

Toys to Snuggle In

Whether it is just a blanket on your lap during your cuddle time, or next to a soft toy in their cage, snuggly toys are becoming increasingly popular as more and more owners realise that their guinea friends can find significant comfort and happiness in all things soft.

• Blankets – fleece or cotton (can be put in a large pile to create a 'blanket mountain' for them to burrow under, or a small piece of material for them to snuggle against)
  • Flat pillows/cushions
  • Soft teddies – little and large!
  • Soft beds aimed at cats, dogs and rabbits
  • Winter hats (human)
  • “Cuddlecups” or round “beds” aimed specifically towards guinea pigs
  • Small-animal sized chairs and beds
  • Piggie “sleeping bags”, “cosy sacks” or “snuggle pouches”

Toys to Chew...And Other Fun Toys

Some of these toys are so simple that you may not imagine a guinea ever being stimulated by them, or you can't imagine them ever being interested in something so “not guinea pig”. Try some of them with your guins and see – you may be pleasantly surprised!

• Brown paper bags
  • Newspaper balls
  • Newspaper tents
  • Kitchen/toilet roll tubes
  • Empty pots and containers – lightweight and not easy to chew, but good enough to throw around!
  • Tennis Balls
  • PVC pipe – minimum 4 inch diameter...bigger if the butt is bigger!
  • Hanging bird toys
  • Bird bells
  • Mirrors
  • Willow toys, vine balls
  • Not forgetting, arguably the most fun and natural toy to a guinea pig...an enormous mound of high quality hay! Alternatively, try stuffing hay in a toilet roll tube or in a brown paper bag to provoke further interest from your guineas.

EDIT (S_B)
Another great toy has been made by @Shauny and is a piggie maze made from cardboard, have a look at this great idea below. You can hide treats around to encourage you piggie to explore

Have fun finding something that interests your guinea – sometimes it intrigues them when you play with the toys yourself too!​
I think this is great however please don't feed guinea pigs paper containing ink as it can be harmful.

xToNix

Forum Donator 2017/18
I cut the handles and one of the sides off a paper bag I get with my shopping and I put them in the piggies cages with some hay underneath. The reason I cut one of the sides off is because my piggies are heavier than the bag and when one of my piggies ran into the bag, the bag went back upright and scared my piggy half to death bless him. My piggies seemed to enjoy munching their hay and taking a little snooze underneath them :) ❤️

View attachment 69385

IMG_5314.JPG

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2017/18
I didn't know half of this, so any cardboard is safe? Mine will just chew it lol. And cuddly toys, really? Don't they chew the fur?
Hi Diane,

Cardboard: yep just ensure any labels are removed, sellotape or similar adhesive tape and any of those hard staples they sometimes use not the tougher cardboard boxes, fill it with hay and the piggies wild the rest.

Cuddly toys are great comforters for piggies, makes them feel a little bit more safe, again ensure labels and no hard glass eyes - if you have the stitched ones they are better. In terms of size, I would recommend the same size or slightly bigger than the pig, I've never had a piggy chew Larry the Lion (whom I use as a comforter when required). My Larry's arms and legs lay flat out and one of my boys uses the legs to prop his head up...so cute.

IngaW16

New Born Pup
Cute

Such cute pictures! I never thought of giving cuddly toys to my piggies.
My baby Pretty has a teddy bear I had given her when I got her from a troubled home! It's her bestttt friend, she sleeps cuffing up to it as well as uses it to cover up the opening to her as I call it bedroom! I cut a hole in a basket I had and she's inlove with it. I use blankets for her cage and lots of hayyyy she has a cuddling blanket to keep her warm under that basket of course too! Dosent care for the whole toilet paper tube but I leave it there any ways.... I'm trying to figure out floor time cause it's hard in my house don't want to lose he! I feel like she's bored!

Celine298

Junior Guinea Pig
Discovered a great way to keep the piggys entertained recently, never seen them so happy.
PAPER BOXES!

All you need is:
  • Some cardboard boxes, various sizes
  • A roll of brown paper (not baking paper, the plain kind for wrapping)

Cut multiple holes in your cardboard box, the more the merrier. Cut your brown paper into small strips or 'curls' and fill your cardboard box with them. Simple as that!

My guys spend hours running in and out of the boxes, burrowing in the paper and flittering it around the place! They absolutely love it. I have one box designed like a tunnel full of paper, which they run through at high speed. I have another larger box with four access points that they chase each other through. Try to imagine small children in a ball pit and you have the right idea!

They love them so much that when they hear me tearing up fresh paper, they going into a popcorning frenzy :P

teddymouse

Teenage Guinea Pig
cardboard boxes filled hay,with holes cut out and from the carpet store,the cardboard rolls that holds the carpets, cut in to 2 .3 and 4 foot legnths,stacked 3 high,covered with hay,sit back and watch the fun. they have us in fits.

LaraTruskowski

Junior Guinea Pig

my big big pig

Junior Guinea Pig
My pigs like to chew on cardboard boxes, some wooden toys, they like to pull hay out of tissue boxes, they also enjoy tunnels, blanket piles and toilet paper rolls with hay stuffed inside and veggies stuck on a straw which is hinging on a string.