• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Guinea Pig Toys

Allena

Junior Guinea Pig
My piggy LOVES her toys! Here are some things I have given her:

• Cat toys -- her favourite are balls that jingle.
  • Bird cage toys -- In the pet shop, these are hanging things usually with colored blocks and variations might include rope arms, bells, or mirrors. I hang these from the side of Kindle's cage or run a stick through some of the crossbars and hang them overhead. She likes to nibble and tug at them and last night I witnessed for the first time as she stood up and batted at a jingly ball on a string, just like a little cat!
  • Pieces of loofah cut into weird shapes
  • Stuffed animals
  • Champagne and wine corks
Hope that gives folks some ideas! :)
Don't they chew on the corks? I have some old corks I'd collected years ago, when I was crafting (before MS knackered my hands/dexterity). I'd give them to Freddie to play with, if I was sure they would not harm him. ?

Allena

Junior Guinea Pig
They have stick arches and logs in their C&C as well as a comfy hidey house . Ive also put tubes hanging from the top of their cage. Marble only behaves like this in the c&c not in his outdoor run . Ive put lots of hay in his c&c too but he's still biting the bars . What else can I do?
He seems happier outdoors than in
What do you use to hang the toilet rolls by? I assumed string would be gnawed through. Help please! :shh:

Allena

Junior Guinea Pig
Discovered a great way to keep the piggys entertained recently, never seen them so happy.
PAPER BOXES!

All you need is:
  • Some cardboard boxes, various sizes
  • A roll of brown paper (not baking paper, the plain kind for wrapping)

Cut multiple holes in your cardboard box, the more the merrier. Cut your brown paper into small strips or 'curls' and fill your cardboard box with them. Simple as that!

My guys spend hours running in and out of the boxes, burrowing in the paper and flittering it around the place! They absolutely love it. I have one box designed like a tunnel full of paper, which they run through at high speed. I have another larger box with four access points that they chase each other through. Try to imagine small children in a ball pit and you have the right idea!

They love them so much that when they hear me tearing up fresh paper, they going into a popcorning frenzy :P
Could I put brown paper through the shredding machine for Freddie to play in the shreddings, or is shredded paper too small?

Allena

Junior Guinea Pig
So, decided to make a snuffle mat! Had a quick peek online and kinda just made it up as I went along! I used:

- 1x fleece cut into strips. I used one from Poundland, it was 90cm x 60cm, I cut the strips to be about 3cm wide, length varied from 10cm to 20cm. The great thing is the strips don't need to be cut that neatly or accurately sized! I also had an off cut of different coloured fleece; this is a good idea to add different colours/textures.
- 1x bath mat (this shows the bit I cut out). This one is from Poundland and is ideal because of the uniformly spaced holes.

I cut out a 'grid', I did a small square to start with as it's the first time I've made one.

View attachment 56235

Then I just passed the strips through and tied them! I kept on until I'd run out of fleece strips, but luckily it was dense enough too.

This is an underside view:
View attachment 56236

And ta-da! I've sprinkled on a bit of forage stuff so the girls can have a rummage. I'm pretty chuffed with it :)
View attachment 56234
Fabulous! Does it have to be made with *fleece* fabric strips, or could cotton fabric strips do as well? As an ex-quilter, I still have a stash of 100% cotton I could cut up, if that were possible. Advice please. Thank you.

KatyKitchen

Junior Guinea Pig
I cut the handles and one of the sides off a paper bag I get with my shopping and I put them in the piggies cages with some hay underneath. The reason I cut one of the sides off is because my piggies are heavier than the bag and when one of my piggies ran into the bag, the bag went back upright and scared my piggy half to death bless him. My piggies seemed to enjoy munching their hay and taking a little snooze underneath them :) ❤️

View attachment 69385

View attachment 69386
my guinea pig likes these bags too , filled with hay

HeatherW

Teenage Guinea Pig
Fabulous! Does it have to be made with *fleece* fabric strips, or could cotton fabric strips do as well? As an ex-quilter, I still have a stash of 100% cotton I could cut up, if that were possible. Advice please. Thank you.
I don't see why you couldn't make one with cotton. :)

ThePotterPiggie

Junior Guinea Pig
My piggies seem to like it when I hide their veggies in scrunched up paper bags. They even prefer it to being handed food, although I have no idea why!

annar96

Junior Guinea Pig
Just to add as a further bit to the part said about new piggies shouldn't be given too many hidey places as it encourages them to hide more (or the school of thought that says you shouldn't)
My two piggies are new, and when I first got them I got loads of tubes etc for them to play in, they do come out in their own time and when they feel comfy about it. Now the literally hare around in the tubes (I set them up like a little speedway track and they love it!) and sit at end of them peeking out, then do a full mad dash around the run. When one starts it encourages the other to do this mad dashing, with lots of 'popcorning', squeaking and chattering too. They will seem to have a quick breather, outside the tubes, then set off again on another break neck speed circuit!

I firmly believe in letting them have a hidey place, they come out in their own time and when they do it on their own terms seem ready and much more relaxed about it. I have had mine a little over a week now, they have already started to come sit on my knee if we have them on the sofa and love having a little head massage that makes them 'purr' like little drills! I love having them out, but when they show signs of burrowing under the cushions etc, I take that as thier sign of saying they have had enough for a little while and put them back in their run, so they can either go back in their igloo bed, or have a nice long hide in a tube. Seems to be working so far.
We re just about to get 3 boys and I'd love to see a photo of your speedway track!

Wiebke

Staff member
We re just about to get 3 boys and I'd love to see a photo of your speedway track!
Hi! Please be aware that three sub-adult boars have a 90% risk of needing to be split up during the teenage months, so please make sure that you have a) LOTS of space and b) are able to accommodate two different lots of guinea pigs.
If you are very unlucky, you can end up with three single boars.
Instead of cardboard tubes you can use log tunnels or ferret tunnels.

Boars, sows or mixed pairs; babies or adults?
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

annar96

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi! Please be aware that three sub-adult boars have a 90% risk of needing to be split up during the teenage months, so please make sure that you have a) LOTS of space and b) are able to accommodate two different lots of guinea pigs.
If you are very unlucky, you can end up with three single boars.
Instead of cardboard tubes you can use log tunnels or ferret tunnels.

Boars, sows or mixed pairs; babies or adults?
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Thanks for that! The boars are two brothers of one and a half years and another which is two and half. They been together a while as far as we can see but one, we re not sure which yet cos they're still in the shelter can sometimes bully... so possibly the two and half year old...but we ve been told we can take him back if necessary. We have a 5 X 2 c&c cage but could add a loft if necessary...

Wiebke

Staff member
Thanks for that! The boars are two brothers of one and a half years and another which is two and half. They been together a while as far as we can see but one, we re not sure which yet cos they're still in the shelter can sometimes bully... so possibly the two and half year old...but we ve been told we can take him back if necessary. We have a 5 X 2 c&c cage but could add a loft if necessary...
Your younger pair is just coming out of the teenage months.

If they are stably bonded as a trio at the rescue, then there is not an issue, as long as you mark the new cage as their territory before introducing them to it by rubbing some soiled stuff of theirs all over the cage and by allowing them to also scent mark the new fleece. That can minimise the necessity of a full out hierarchy re-establishment. ;)

annar96

Junior Guinea Pig
Ah, very good idea. Will definitely do that. I didn't realize they are just coming out of teen years! Anything else I should be aware of?

Mariosmom

New Born Pup
Would love everyones opinion on deer antler chews. We live in northern Michigan and the wild critters love shed whitetail antlers. My sister said porcupines in particular cant get enough of them. I found mixed information online and would love to hear from anyone who has tried them