• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig tumor

kmggg

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ok so one of my guinea pigs developed this tumor a couple of weeks ago. It's not getting any bigger or smaller so idk.
Bc of all the complications with coronavirus our vet can only be scheduled in late November/December. They said that they could give her anesthesia and then remove the tumor. Honestly I don't know if she can handle it and I'm really worried for her. I'll put in some pics.
IMG_20201013_185145_resized_20201013_065214135.jpgIMG_20201013_185114_resized_20201013_065214619.jpg

Ok so one of my guinea pigs developed this tumor a couple of weeks ago. It's not getting any bigger or smaller so idk.
Bc of all the complications with coronavirus our vet can only be scheduled in late November/December. They said that they could give her anesthesia and then remove the tumor. Honestly I don't know if she can handle it and I'm really worried for her. I'll put in some pics.
View attachment 155566View attachment 155567

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry about the extremely long wait. Has the lump seen and been diagnosed by a vet or is that your own assessment?
Guinea Lynx :: Lumps

The good news is that where it is situated, it is not too close to any vital organs and should hopefully make for an easier and quicker operation. But it is obviously causing your piggy quite some discomfort as the area has been obviously barbered. Lumps in guinea pigs don't get smaller or disappear again. Some, like abscesses or sebaceous cysts can burst. Some can also put on a sudden massive growth spurt, which makes for an emergency op. All you can do is to keep an eye on it and push for the earliest possible date.

Here is our emergency advice as well as our post-op care link. You may want to read and bookmark them so you know where you can find the necessary information in a hurry and be prepared for stepping in with support care in case that becomes necessary.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Tips For Post-operative Care

My two oldest piggies needing an operation were both lump operations; Tesni needed a burst and infected but harmless sebaceous cyst removing that was located just next to her genitalia age 6 and Hafren's large cyst on her back (which we'd kept under observation for well over a year in view of her age) promptly picked up speed and burst during my vet's summer holiday absence. Hafren made it through her op a month before her 7th birthday and made a full recovery, the same as Tesni. Concerns of a possible tumour at the bottom of it by the local general vet I saw as an emergency did thankfully not materialise.

Tesni - Hafren on the day after their lumpectomy
IMG_4134_edited-1.jpgIMG_7598_edited-1.jpg

I hope that this helps you?

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry about the extremely long wait. Has the lump seen and been diagnosed by a vet or is that your own assessment?
Guinea Lynx :: Lumps

The good news is that where it is situated, it is not too close to any vital organs and should hopefully make for an easier and quicker operation. But it is obviously causing your piggy quite some discomfort as the area has been obviously barbered. Lumps in guinea pigs don't get smaller or disappear again. Some, like abscesses or sebaceous cysts can burst. Some can also put on a sudden massive growth spurt, which makes for an emergency op. All you can do is to keep an eye on it and push for the earliest possible date.

Here is our emergency advice as well as our post-op care link. You may want to read and bookmark them so you know where you can find the necessary information in a hurry and be prepared for stepping in with support care in case that becomes necessary.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Tips For Post-operative Care

My two oldest piggies needing an operation were both lump operations; Tesni needed a burst and infected but harmless sebaceous cyst removing that was located just next to her genitalia age 6 and Hafren's large cyst on her back (which we'd kept under observation for well over a year in view of her age) promptly picked up speed and burst during my vet's summer holiday absence. Hafren made it through her op a month before her 7th birthday and made a full recovery, the same as Tesni. Concerns of a possible tumour at the bottom of it by the local general vet I saw as an emergency did thankfully not materialise.

Tesni - Hafren on the day after their lumpectomy
View attachment 155568View attachment 155569

I hope that this helps you?
Thanks so much for the info & your time. It helped me a lot and I'm glad the bump isn't near any vital organs. I'm just wondering if there is a chance the guinea pig doesn't survive the operation or if it's painful? I'm really concerned about my bby she means a lot to me.

Thanks so much for the info & your time. It helped me a lot and I'm glad the bump isn't near any vital organs. I'm just wondering if there is a chance the guinea pig doesn't survive the operation or if it's painful? I'm really concerned about my bby she means a lot to me.

Hi!

The lump is already painful now; the sooner it comes out, the better for your piggy. The op should absolutely not wait until December!

It can well be a tumour, in which case it will keep growing and at some point will go into the body. There is always a small risk that an operation won't come off with any medical procedure under anaesthetics - the same goes for humans. That is a leap of faith you always have to take. But would you rather risk have your piggy potentially die sooner and much more painfully from cancer than giving it a chance of a long and happy life without the pain from a large growing lump?

As operations go, it is one of the less risky provided it is done as soon as possible; the sooner, the smaller the risk.
Guinea pigs have a fast metabolism; they heal much more quickly than us humans, so any operation pain (for which there are painkillers) is a very temporary matter. The flip side is that when things go wrong like with this lump growing, then they go wrong much more quickly, too. I would REALLY push for the earliest operation slot you can get.

Be strong for your piggy and do not lose sight of the bigger picture because of your own fears - they can be potentially more deadly and painful for your beloved one than anything your vet can do.

Hi!

The lump is already painful now; the sooner it comes out, the better for your piggy. The op should absolutely not wait until December!

It can well be a tumour, in which case it will keep growing and at some point will go into the body. There is always a small risk that an operation won't come off with any medical procedure under anaesthetics - the same goes for humans. That is a leap of faith you always have to take. But would you rather risk have your piggy potentially die sooner and much more painfully from cancer than giving it a chance of a long and happy life without the pain from a large growing lump?

As operations go, it is one of the less risky provided it is done as soon as possible; the sooner, the smaller the risk.
Guinea pigs have a fast metabolism; they heal much more quickly than us humans, so any operation pain (for which there are painkillers) is a very temporary matter. The flip side is that when things go wrong like with this lump growing, then they go wrong much more quickly, too. I would REALLY push for the earliest operation slot you can get.

Be strong for your piggy and do not lose sight of the bigger picture because of your own fears - they can be potentially more deadly and painful for your beloved one than anything your vet can do.
Taking her in for the operation on the 29th. wishing her luck <3 <3

Ok so a couple hours ago i took my baby to the vet. turns out it was only a sebaceous cyst, so she didn't have to go through anesthesia and whatnot. They injected it and removed the inside and she's recovering quickly! thank you so much for the good luck!

Ok so a couple hours ago i took my baby to the vet. turns out it was only a sebaceous cyst, so she didn't have to go through anesthesia and whatnot. They injected it and removed the inside and she's recovering quickly! thank you so much for the good luck!

Good news! Unfortunately, lumps need a hands-on examination. Any variety can suddenly grow very large.
Please be aware that a sebaceous cyst can refill.

Good news! Unfortunately, lumps need a hands-on examination. Any variety can suddenly grow very large.
Please be aware that a sebaceous cyst can refill.
oki good to know ty!

Aw, that’s such better news. They can refill sometimes so keep a keen eye on it x

Back