1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Want to send a gift to a needy rescue piggy this Christmas? Why not take part in the Secret Santa being organised by PottyforPiggies, more info here
  3. Guinea pigs are NOT natural swimmers. they should never be placed in a deep body of water with nowhere to stand or to escape. the video that is currently making the rounds on social media is a clear example of cruelty and abuse.

Guinea pig whimpering, squealing and 'hunching' up?

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by Cherriesxo, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherriesxo

Cherriesxo Junior Guinea Pig

Jan 1, 2012
    My guinea pig, Amelie is in pain, we only noticed it this morning (yesterday she was fine!) It's gradually getting worse, she lives with another guinea pig so we took Amelie out onto a chair and fed her some hay. She ate it, her appetite seems ok. However tried to feed her water and she wouldn't take it. She keeps 'hunching up' for about 1 second at a time, as if she's trying to pass something, and her ears flap upwards too when this happens. I thought it may be a digestive problem which is why I fed her the hay, however she hasn't pooped since, she hasn't urinated either. I'm thinking it could be a bladder stone? Will she pass this on her own? I'm really worried about her. :... We're off to the vets later but just wondering if there's anything I can do in the mean time, she's constantly squealing and whimpering. I've just checked her now before I post this and she's facing into the corner of the cage, still occasionally hunching up momentarily. We don't have any syringes in. Should I give her veg? Please help :(

2. Amanda1801

Senior Guinea Pig

Mar 28, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    Call the vet, tell them she's not urinating. This is an emergency and she needs to be seen ASAP. Don't let them fob you off with an appointment later on this afternoon/evening

Good luck, let us know how she gets on!

3. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Coventry UK
    I agree - please have her seen asap as an emergency!

4. PottyForPiggies

PottyForPiggies *Secret Santa*

Feb 22, 2012
    York, UK
    Totally agree with this. It really is an emergency and please get her seen to.
    We are sending healing vibes and wheeks from Treacle, Casper and Junior and hope for some positive news. x

5. Guinea pig slave

Senior Guinea Pig

Feb 6, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    It does sound suspciously like a bladder problem - her poops will diminish if she's not eating as well as normal, piggies will lose their appetite if unwell.
    Go armed to the vets with lots of info and questions - take a small urine sample if possible in a clean container so it can be tested (keep in fridge until you go to the vet)
    Pop her onto a white towel/fleece to see if there is any blood present, indicates a UTI/Cystitis or a stone. Sows can pass them as their urethra is wider than a boar so may not need surgery.
    Keep her warm, do you have a snuggle pad or hot water bottle you can wrap in a blanket ? When ill, they may feel cold, their hair traps air for warmth I believe so gives the appearance of 'fluffed' up to keep warm.
    She will need antibiotics (ask for Septrin) pain relief (Metacam) if it's an infection and help with feeding - possibly via a syringe if she shows no interest in her food.
    Keep trying her with her fave veggies/grass etc. and is worth popping to a pharmacy for some 1ml syringes. You can at least give her a drink and keep her hydrated.
    Vets can palpate their abdomen and feel a stone if present but x-rays/ultra sound scans give a more positive result.
    Hope all goes well, keep us updated, lots of us have got bladder piggies including myself - it really is worrying to see them poorly but can be successfully treated :)

:( just re read your thread, didn't spot she hadn't wee'd. You do need to get her seen to sooner than later.

6. Cherriesxo

Jan 1, 2012
    Thank you everyone! I took her to the vets today and the vet checked her over and couldn't feel any impaction or blockage. Amelie had stopped hunching up with pain at this time. He initially suggested that it may be a bladder stone, or something similar, and suggested we x-ray to find out. However he went out of the room for about 2 mins to get painkillers and antibiotics etc and Amelie began eating the hay in the box, and then she began hunching up again about 5 times. The vet came in the room & we told him this, and he watched her for a few moments and she hunched up with pain in front of him (which I'm really glad about). He felt her again and immediately found two ovarian cysts on both sides of her. He thinks that these may be causing her the pain, because they were so large and he feels that they will be causing her pain when she eats due to the stomach pressing against them. He's a great vet, he gave us antibiotics and painkillers to give her, which he said should last us over a week, until we make a decision whether to have her spayed. He mentioned another procedure too but he said it was about 50% effective and much more expensive, can't remember what it was though. I think we'll have her spayed. Hopefully this will stop the problem. He said he has no concerns with her diet because she's still eating, but he gave me a syringe so that I could feed her water. Thanks everyone for your responses :)

7. Guinea pig slave

Senior Guinea Pig

Feb 6, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    Aw, poor baby xoxo
    Hope she's ok - has she p'd at all since ?/

8. Cherriesxo

Jan 1, 2012
    She's only done it once I think, she stayed in the corner of her cage so it was all underneath her when I was taking her to the vets, she's not drinking very well on her own so I'll be feeding her plenty of veg and syringe feeding her some water. Thanks :)

9. PottyForPiggies

PottyForPiggies *Secret Santa*

Feb 22, 2012
    York, UK
    At least you know what is up with her. I hope that everything goes well and your precious sweetheart will be back on her feet in no time. I know that spaying a piggie is not an easy operation, but it will give her back a better quality of life. :)
    Healing wheeks from my piggies to yours :)

10. piglet_and_rogers_mama

piglet_and_rogers_mama Adult Guinea Pig

Mar 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Poor baby :( i have had cysts on my ovaries and i can sympathize: they hurt! Hope she feels better soon!

11. Glynis

Forum Buddy

12. Mother Hubbard

Mother Hubbard Adult Guinea Pig

Nov 13, 2009
    UK
    Mightbe worth getting some critical care also, helps with food intake and with has to be stringed with water so will help with rehydration. Good luck

13. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Coventry UK
    Best of luck! I hope that it is the cysts. If you are worried about the operation, there are alternatives that your vet may wish to research - draining (will need repeats) or homronal treatment.

Here are tips for post operation care: http://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

#13 Wiebke, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  14. piggieboys

piggieboys Teenage Guinea Pig

Aug 4, 2011
    Warrington
    I hope she starts to feel better soon

15. Guinea Slave

Guinea Slave Adult Guinea Pig

Oct 27, 2010
    Hampshire
    Oh poor little girl :( Hope she is feeling a little more comfortable today. I have a guinea who does suffer from ovarian cysts, she is too old to spay and also has a heart condition so we use Chorulon injections and these manage it very well. Maybe worth trying before you consider spaying perhaps?

Whatever you choose, good luck and I hope she is feeling much better soon.

x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.