• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig with soft poos

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maxthepig

can anyone help with this from another forum please (I'll post your answers on there)

hey guys I know this forum is for bunnys but I am looking after my friends guinea pig while she is on holiday and I already have two rabbits so I thought it should be the same..oh how I was wrong!

I am worried about the guinea pig as he has produced some soft poos which are squishy and I don't know if its normal or not. He has eaten all his veg from this morning but I am worried cos he doesn't really move that much which in rabbits can be a sign of ill health!

I hope someone can put my mind at rest and give me some tips as I worry more when its not my own pets!

Thanks

Billies Mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How squishy are they?
A bit soft or full on Diahorrea?

Could be an upset tum or problem with his teeth

I'm no expert though

Reaction score
Or... maybe she has given him a veg or fruit he's not used to?

D

DebbieR

If they are just squishy and not watery - syringe feed 1.5ml of arrowroot mixed with water twice a day. I always follow with a brewers yeast tablet too.

Billies Mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How do you give the Brewers yeast?

Does piggies get stressed about a change in circumstances?
Or separation anxiety?

D

DebbieR

You crush the brewers yeast tablet and mix it with water to form a paste. george loves it.

B

Beaney

I am not sure on the rules on posting links so sorry if this is not allowed but this website:

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/

has all of Peter Gurney's tips on guinea pig health. I have used his tips for soft poos/diarrhea before and it worked really well.

Reaction score
to me it sounds like a case of new food / too much fresh fruit...

"hes eaten all his veg this morning" - a piggy that might only be used to a little bit of fruit, all of a sudden gets a full dish of fruit and veg for breakfast - of course that would result in soft poo.

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Best to keep off the fruit and veg for a few days. If its still soft, the vet needs to take a look, as they can go downhill rapid. If I've had a piggy with soft poos, for a few days I just give hay and dried food and a few blackberry leaves and this has always sorted them. :)

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Mandy,
Remember i had the same with Albie & co (soft not diarrhoea), after i over-did it with the fruit & veg? I kept them off it for 3 days and introduced 2 or 3 in small amounts, then gradually increased, they're fine again.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.