• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pigs smelling weird

sandy&charlie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, my guinea pigs live in our basement during the summer time because it is much more cooler down there. When I check on them last night I notice that it smelled horrible down there. It was unbearable and I just cleaned their cage. I don’t know if it is a dead mouse (we get those sometimes) or my guinea pigs aren’t feeling well. They seem to smell sort of like the smell so it’s making me worried. Are there any diseases that make you guinea pigs smell HORRIBLE?

Could it be damp in the basement ? I know that stinks awful? Dont know of any reason why the pigs themselves would smell unless they are poorly?

The best thing to do would be to move them out of the basement for a few days and see what happens.
This should allow you to work out if the smell is the guinea pigs or something in the basement.

What bedding do you use?

Agree with above move them out and see

Back