• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pigs Teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Nelson one of my guinea pig has quite long teeth and anything I give him for him to chew on to get his teeth to a reasonable length he will not chew on but my two other guinea pigs love chewing on things any suggestions ?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Nelson one of my guinea pig has quite long teeth and anything I give him for him to chew on to get his teeth to a reasonable length he will not chew on but my two other guinea pigs love chewing on things any suggestions ?
Please have Nelson checked by a piggy savvy vet as to whether his back teeth are OK; the premolars the crucial that can overgrow. If his self sharpening front teeth are too long, it is usually due to the back teeth not being ground down properly.

The best way of keeping the teeth (and the guts) working well is plenty of unlimited hay and not any toys.
Please weigh Nelson (as all your piggies) at least once weekly to monitor that he is eating enough.

The signs of tooth problems are slower chewing, a slow weight loss, picking up food but letting it fall or stopping to eat certain food groups or a wet chin.

Here is our piggy savvy vet locator: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-vet-locator/

@furryfriends Excellent Adventure Sanctuary

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If his front teeth look overly long, it's best to have a knowledgeable vet check the back teeth. Generally problems start in the molars before moving up to front incisors. Not all pigs want to chew on wood or toys- the best thing you can give them is unlimited hay. Chewing all the coarse stalks helps wear the teeth down to a normal level. Other problems can cause tooth overgrowth, like an illness that causes the pig to reduce their food intake (because they are not wearing the teeth down by chewing) or abscesses along the jaw (because it hurts to chew, which can reduce wear on the teeth or can cause the pig to favour one side, which can lead to uneven wear on teeth.)

brianna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
he eats loads of grass and hay so can that wear his teeth down

brianna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ok thank you I put hay in their hutches every day so will that help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.