Gut problems genetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have 3 pigs and 2 of them are plagued with ongoing gut problems, mainly bloating up with gas and being unable to poop properly. These episodes usually happen after vegetables but both of them were perfectly healthy until around January/February of this year, my boys will be 2 in September. My other pig Rodney is fine with his veg so I was wondering whether Bradley and Barney's problems could be genetic or is it just a coincidence? Also I have a question regarding vitamins. Due to me being unable to give Bradley and Barney vegetables often due to their bloating, do I need to give them a vitamin C supplement or will they get what they need from their pellets? I've asked this question before and no one replied, I am grateful for any advice! :)

Thanks.

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's genetic, but I can give you some advice, as my Willow has digestive problems. I can't give her veggies a lot either, so I do give her a little vitamin c supplement from a tablet. I also give her the pellets and timothy hay, which is good for their digestion. My Willow also gets diarrhea often, so I give her a pro biotic for that.

If your piggies are having issues with bloating and pooing, it would be a good idea to get them checked out by a vet.

Good luck with your piggies! :)

Reaction score
I've had them checked over by the vet and she can find nothing wrong with them internally, she just said to give them plenty of hay, probiotics when they need it and when they bloat up properly to give them fibreplex or pro-fibre pellets. How much vitamin C do you give your piggy?

Thanks for the help! :)

Reaction score
Ive always wondered this. Ive had three teddys in total and each one hs had impaction and seemed more prone to mites/fungal than the others.

Reaction score
Zarapiggie - mine are supposed to be rex crosses and have constant problems with fungal and dry and flaky skin, as said mine are also prone to bloating and gas :...

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All of mine are teddy's except for Willow and Woog. They all have skin problems and Bob has digestive problems too, although they are not as bad as Willow's. :(

luluhound

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Am wondering if I have been lucky with my teddy sow she is nearly 5 and never had any problems, just got two rex babies I realy hope they will be ok, is it common in these breeds a bit worried now.x

HairlessWillow7

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Am wondering if I have been lucky with my teddy sow she is nearly 5 and never had any problems, just got two rex babies I realy hope they will be ok, is it common in these breeds a bit worried now.x

I've only had it happen in one teddy boar, and I've had 9 teddy's.

Reaction score
Zarapiggie - mine are supposed to be rex crosses and have constant problems with fungal and dry and flaky skin, as said mine are also prone to bloating and gas :...

There always lovely though arn't they?! really laid back and sweet :)

Reaction score

I wouldn't worry to much! All my teddys were adopted as is usually the case they come to me in a state! I suppose because there babies and have had a good start with you there problems should be minimal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.