Hair dye and tattoos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggle*&*Ludo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had a tattoo 2 weeks ago, one 1 week ago and am getting it finished off tomorrow. However my roots are really showing from a bad dye job and I hate it!

I have heard so many horror stories however I have died my hair since my teens, I had a tat done 10 years ago but with it being so fresh and me due to have another tomorrow, is it safe?

I have bought a dye that you leave on for just 10 minutes so won't be in contact with me for long.

I Googled it and got nothing but horror stories, but that is nothing new whatever you research. My sis works at a tattoo shop and said it is just henna tattoos that react and she regularly does it but I am still scared.

Please help!

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i have only ever heard of problems with henna and hair dyes.

Ive had tatts for years and dyed my hair for years, and I'm ok...i think....:))

Reaction score
I had a tat done and had my hair dyed soon after and I was ok, I've never really heard of this although on hair dye bottles it does mention something about tats:{
If you're really concerned could you not ring the helpline on the box.

Lolaa

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you are worried you could get a semi permanent its chemical free and will cover your roots up, its much cheaper than normal dye too! I had red put in over 4 weeks ago now and it still looks fab :))

Hoggle*&*Ludo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, I did call my hairdresser, she said she can only suggest I do a patch test if I am concerned but she personally doesn't think it should be a problem but I went for it, my hair is good and my tattoos look ace! :(|)

I will try and get a pic in the next few days, it's all the way up my back so will have to choose a photographer wisely. lol. :red

hippoman

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Not recommended according to Tattoos and the Effects of Hair Color--do They Mix? on factoidz website. Perhaps taking Piriton or similar would reduce the risk of allergic reaction.

If your concern is more to do with the dye coming into contact with the new tattoo then could you cover the tattoo with cling-film while you're applying the colour? Wrapping around your torso shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not too tight and if it's only going to be on for 10-20 minutes. You'll probably get quite warm so make sure you don't over-heat. Start wrapping at the top and work down as it's easier to find the end if it's on your tummy rather than right under your neck. If you need to cover the neck then don't wind it around and around: use a little collar that just overlaps at the front, a bit like and old-fashioned shirt collar, so it is very easy to remove. Then cover the shoulders and torso as required, overlapping the joins.

Bonus: if you video the process and upload to YouTube your life will change forever.

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was meant to have my new tattoo last week and had to cancel. gutted!
Hubby had his new one on sat I'm well jealous lol xx

Status
Not open for further replies.