• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hamster babies

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hermoine76

Hello everyone sorry to ask but I have no idea what to do.I came home last night to find my Dwarf hamster had given birth to 4-5 babies.One had been eaten I think by the dad so I have removed him from the cage.I haven't got a clue what to do.Help!
I have left then alone just in case I upset them but do I have to do anything special for them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have never experienced this before and I dint want to do the wrong thing
Thanks everyone
Heidi x

Oh it's OK panic over.Wait for it mum has eaten all of the babies 98) its all a bit looney for my liking Ewwwwy yukky it's discusting
I shall no be letting her have anymore.......Gross.......

hermoine76 said:
Oh it's OK panic over.Wait for it mum has eaten all of the babies 98) its all a bit looney for my liking Ewwwwy yukky it's discusting
I shall no be letting her have anymore.......Gross.......

I'm pleased to hear that you won't be breeding from her again.

It's not the mums fault that she has eaten the babies, it's a natural instinct for many small animals to do this if they feel unhappy or threatened. Although we as humans might find it "yucky" it's a perfectly normal thing for them to do in certain circumstances.
Keep an eye on mum and give her time to get over what has happened to her. Poor baby :'(

Barbara

I didn't even know she was pregnant I thought I had 2 females.How wrong I was.
I will keep them separate from now on just so the mum doesn't have to go through it all again I feel bad for her it seemed at first she was looking after them but maybe she just freaked out or didn't know what to do.But never again.
Bye for now
Heidi x

D: Egads.

This stuff happens far too often - problems with people told that their pets are the same sex when they're not, or people being sold/adopting pregnant pets. :C

If I remember rightly - dwarf hamsters do like company, unlike a lot of other breeds of hamsters which you should only get by themselves, so you could keep them apart or invest in getting another male and another female, and have two same sex pairs? After your little girl has recovered.

...Unless the same thing happens again. o_O;

Is the girl okay now? If you didn't remove the dad early enough she could be pregnant again, but I assume it's been a while since she first had the babies.

Darky, you're right - dwarf hamsters do like company, but they are fine living alone aswell. What type of dwarf is she? Roborovski's are extremely social so it would be best to get company if that's what they are, but dwarfs like winter whites will sometimes fight with their cage mate. but if you don't want to get another two hamsters to keep them company, they should be fine.

My hamsters are Roborovski.Very sadly this week I will have to have the male put to sleep as he has a tumor and its growing rapidly.I'm not sure I will get another one as I have had so many problems with this breed.I started out with 3 and 2 of them attacked one and bit its leg off and I had to have it put to sleep.Then the baby eating and now the tumor.I will see how my female goes when she loses her partner in the week if she's unhappy by herself then I will see if someone who has the same breed will take her then she will still have company.I'm so sad at the thought of losing him as he has struggeled through life already.He only had 3 legs when I got him but he runs around in the wheel and plays and eats well.Then he developed a tumor and the vet said as long as hes eating and playing he will be OK for a while.It's been a while now and he is still eating but hes finding walking a bit hard now and I don't want him to suffer so I have decided this week so let him go.My female is doing very well I hope she can cope by herself I will watch her carefully to see if she's OK

I will let you know how it all goes

Heidi

Aww, that's really sad your male has to be put to sleep, but atleast he'll be in a better place with no suffering.

Your female should be fine though, I know quite a few people on a hamster forum who have roborovski's alone.

Just a question about when she ate the babies, did you pick up the babies or could your scent have gotten on them in some way?

No I didn't touch the babies as i was worried that she might reject them,But instead she ate them, I would have left her alone to get on with it as I know notthing about hamster babies and I was a bit panicky when I discovered them.It's only that they where making noises that I even knew that they where there.Very sad I wondered if I could have pervented it.Feel awful about the whole thing :(

Heidi

I don't think you could have prevented it happening. You did the right thing by not touching the babies, the mother will almost always eat the babies if them have a different scent on them.

Hope you're feeling better about it soon, remember the babies are in a better place now. :(

awwww i'm so sorry to hear about the hammy babies :( Its awful when that sort of thing happens, but there was nothing you could have done - it sounds like she just didnt accept them as hers... :'(

Hope you feel better soon...

xxxxxx Rest in Peace little babies xxxxxx

Trace x

Aw I'm so sorry about the babies.. what a horrible thing to find :( I have a robinovski that lives alone and he has a thyroid problem with his neck... its like a big collar round his neck, all swollen etc. but the vet says nothing they can do for the little guy and just let him live until he goes by himself or is in pain.
One thing i noticed here is that people have commented that it is ok to introduce another as a cage mate ? I was told that they would fight to the death if a new one was introduced ! Have I been given the wrong info ?

After two of mine ate the leg off another I'm not sure I would risk it as I would hate to buy one and then have to take it back if they didn't get on.It's hard to know what to do sometimes.I will see how my female is when the male has gone,I really don't want to take him I feel awful,I hope it's the right thing to do.He can still eat but I wonder if hes in pain and the tumor is quite big now.oh my brain is frying I hate having to decide things like this :(

Heidi

Evelyn, if you have roborovski hamsters then it is very unlikely that they would fight to death. Syrian hamsters are the only hamsters which are solitary and will do that. However, dwarf hamsters live fine on their own, it's just that they sometimes get along better with a cage mate.

Heidi (I hope it's okay for me to call you that? Sorry if not), do what your heart tells you to, if you're boy is in pain and he would be in more pain to be made better/or he can't get better then you would be doing the right thing by letting him go.

It's fine to call me Heidi thanks Jane fro asking.I think I will take him on Wednesday I know it's the right thing to do but I hate walking out of the vet leaving my pet's behind.I think it would be better for him,I will miss him hes so funny to watch when hes playing.awww I'm going to start myself off again :'(

Bye for now
Heidi

Do you know whether he's pain at the moment or if it would be possible to make him better? If you do decide to get him put to sleep, just remember it would be better for him and he will be in a better place. Hope you're feeling okay soon.

Jane

I cant tell if hes in pain but he runs and eats,Hes just a bit wobbly sometimes.I think the size of the tumor if freaking me out a bit.
I decide tomorrow I will get him out and have a closer look before I make the final decision,I think I need a stiff drink now !

Heidi

I had scruffy put to sleep yesterday.I miss him so much.The vet said he did have a big tumor.

Bye bye little Scruffy x x x

so sorry Heidi for the loss of scruffy. only just read this thread was the kindest thing to do for him.
RIP little one

karen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back