Hamster doesn't use sand bath

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
What! so I have this weird hamster with me, she hasn't got a clue how to react as a normal hamster (as what I would call hamster), she doesn't use her wheels - yes she has two of them. She's a fiesty little thing but she's a proper madam. I think I have psycho Ham. Who currently is straddled behind said wheel using bars, pretending to be a vampire and hanging upside down.

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I used to have a Houdini Hamster. I had to put padlocks on the doors so she wouldn't escape. One morning (pre padlock) I found her out of the cage and she had found her way into to kitchen cupboard (low one near floor), she had eaten her way into the food box and was happily stuffing her pouches with food even though she had enough in the cage. After that it was padlock time! Even then she used to sit on the mezzanine level at full stretch trying to force the door open! It wasn't as if she she had a small cage either .......

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I also rescued a very cute roborovski hamster who I named Smudge. Smudge came in a TINY cage (about 30cms long x 15 wide :yikes:) and was around 6 months old. Now I know robos are small but they are very active. My friend kindly lent me her old Rotastak tank with lots of different bits to it which was plenty big enough for Smudge once I had figured out how all the pipes and bits went together. Smudge may have been cute but he was the most anti social hamster ever! The only way I could get him out of the tank to clean it was to lure him into a hamster ball (horrible things I know but needs must) with a meal worm - his absolute favourite food. I tried to tame him by putting him in a large plastic box so he couldn't run off and hand feeding him but he wouldn't have that at all! I did try to pick him up but he would scream cos he was so frightened as his previous owners had had young kids who had traumatised him. He also decided that his toilet would be one of the pipes of the Rotastack tank no matter how much I put the soiled bedding from the pipe (which he pushed up there to wee on) in the main tank he INSISTED that the pipe was his toilet. Very awkward place to clean but I there you go I was not Smudge and he obviously liked weeing in the pipe!

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
LOL! Gwyn walks upside down on the bars all the time, she is quite the little gymnast! She does use the wheel, though.