• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hamster safe fruits, veg, seeds & nuts - New owner in need of guidance.

D

Deleted member 130617

I'm a new hammy owner and I've been reading up on what fruits, veggies, seeds and nuts are safe for thier consumption. However, I read on one website that "feeding seeds that are packaged for humans can lead to health problems like obesity and diabetes in hamsters, because additives such as salt and sugar are often present." When they say that, are they meaning human snacking packs like the Whitworths shots or does this also include packs from health food places such as Holland & Barrett? Would seeds and nuts from the home baking isle of a supermarket be okay? Or are there specific shops and/or websites I can get these from where I'm going to have a little more luck in finding something safe.

Also, concerning fruits and veg... I'm going to have to gradually wean him onto them I think, but how do I know what portions to do? Is there a certain size I can start with? And what sort of size am I eventually aiming for? I don't want to give him too much but I don't want to give him too little either.

I'm driving myself insane with all the research and still not knowing for certain what I'm doing. I have a tendancy to overthink these things but I haven't had a hamster since I was in primary school and I'm terrified of doing something awfully wrong. I just want him to be happy and healthy.

Any help, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appriciated and help to put my mind at ease.
Thank you

hmmm I'm not sure it's been many years since I owned a hamster. What fruits and veggies do you tend to get in for your piggies as I wonder if you can give a sliver of those?

Yes the baking kind rather than snacking, but do check the packaging to make sure there's no added salt or anything else. From memory these are an occasional treat for a hamster. I don't remember giving ours much fresh veg or fruit either though it's been 5 years or so since we last had one.

Thank you both for your replies.
I feel like I'm in the world of the unknown at the moment with the hammy so your help has really been appriciated.

Apparently they're meant to have fresh fruit and veg every 2-3 days or so (although this seems to vary from source to source so hopefully every other day will be okay) ... and I've learnt they're omnivores so they're also meant to have meaty proteins too, like mealworms and crickets.. even cooked chicken. The 'size of your thumbnail' tip is really going to help!

Thank you again for responding. It's certainly helped to calm my mind :)

Hi there. I give my hammy a chunk of veg everyday. Only 1 piece of 1 sort of veg and change it for fruit twice a week ish. I give him a teaspoon of mealworms about once a fortnight or so. He has pet shop treats now and again. I don't give him much meat as a general rule. I buy a bag of seeds but like you say you have to make sure that they are unsalted and have no added sugar. I get them from tesco normally and give him teaspoon every fortnight. He has never had any dietary issues and has just turned 2 years old. I hope you enjoy your new little friend :) they're such cute little things

When I had a hamsters, I brought them sunflower seeds and gave them one occasionally as a treat. Stay away from peanuts as they’re high in fat. They also used to love a bit of scrambelled egg as a treat. When it came to fruit and veggies, I would feed a thumbnail size of things like pepper and celery

My hammy loves a teeny tiny piece of romaine lettuce, carrot or celery leaves... literally a piece the size of my little finger nail!
He also adores dried mealworms too :)

I kept hamsters for over 20 years and fed them a tiny piece of veg each day - as already said, about the size of a thumbnail.
They also had a bowl of Harry Hamster food daily, fresh water and occasional treats like yogurt drops.
Welcome to the forum and please can we see pictures

Thank you all so much! Your replies are amazingly helpful!
I phoned the place I got him from and was told he was only ever given 1 baby carrot a day. He's only 8 weeks old though (or so I've been told at least), so although I'm a little disappointed they didn't offer him more variety, he's still very young and has plenty of time to be introduced to new things.
So today I tried him with some carrot as it's what he's used to, a teeny tiny piece of apple and a teeny tiny piece of brocolli. The thumbnail sizing came in very handy - thank you for that little tip!
I like the idea of doing it daily with a piece though so I'll definately be doing that!
Thank you all for the other hints & tips on what hammies like! I can't wait to try him on other healthy nommy things!

He's still really new and I'm really struggling taming him. As soon as we're more comfortable and confident with each other I'll be sure to get some.

Back