• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hamster...

This is the first hamster we've had in probably 6 years. Our last hamster Daisy, she escaped and lived under the floorboards under the desk in the utility for most of her life... she was antisocial too lol

When you say stuffing nest, are you talking about the fluffy cotton wool bedding? Also I strongly recommend you stop using the ball. I have no idea why they still sell them. There's too many dangers involved. Poor ventilation, trapped limbs, stress from not being able to escape, force of hitting off objects at speed. A playpen is a much better option. The bath tub would also be good.

Stuffing is the soft shredded paper not the cotton wool type...
Ball time is not a ball as such but a playpen with a treat ball inside and lots of activities to climb up/on/under/round... ginger has a tray with chinchilla sand in, which is the favourite for digging and washing and toileting at playtime. There is never a dull moment with ginger in the playpen. Sorry for confusion hun x

Aww she/he is adorable. Syrian hamsters are solitary animals unlike piggies they must live alone in adulthood. (they would fight to the death) sounds like you're spoiling her. Lucky hamster.

Bless you all...
Okay this morning, we managed to get a quick photo of Ginger.... I know it's a bit blurry, but I held whilst my daughter took the image. (She's only 9)
We checked for nipples but I couldn't find any... no sign of testicals either... but there is a pea shaped nodule which possibly could be a penis not unlike a boar piggie, but I really don't know for sure...
I know this photo won't probably help a great deal but I did try lol x

@Julie M I did look for nipples where you have circled and there is no hair growth... just bald patches, no nipples so unless they are inverted... I agree with you, I am sure Ginger is a "she" and Ginger doesn't "smell" in my past experiences of boy hamsters, they have a distinct aroma...

I always found the girl hamsters smell more than the boys.

Stuffing is the soft shredded paper not the cotton wool type...
Ball time is not a ball as such but a playpen with a treat ball inside and lots of activities to climb up/on/under/round... ginger has a tray with chinchilla sand in, which is the favourite for digging and washing and toileting at playtime. There is never a dull moment with ginger in the playpen. Sorry for confusion hun x

No worries. Sounds like she's having a great time :) Oh I saw the photo... that's definitely a gorgeous a little girl you have there.

So we all agree... hurrah, we have a girl hamster! Even more apt for her name then... She is now Ginger (Ginger Rogers/Fred Aistair) I suppose it suits her really... She is very active in her pen *when she bothers to wake up loll
Thank you everyone. The debate had been going on at home for so long we thought we were going to have a s/he trans hamster for ever!:yahoo::gp::clap:

Back