• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hamster...

ThePiggieHouse

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My daughter's hamster...
We were told it's a boy...
I don't think it is... how do you sex a wiggly, squirmy, fuzzy furbaby?

I've found with male hamsters they can be quite easy to sex when they're a few months, quite large testicles normally for such a little beast! Obv not all though I can imagine!
Could you get a pic?

Lol s/he is a Syrian. But at 3 months old... surely I should be able to notice the familiar bulge appearing somewhere... bottom photos are nigh on impossible but when s/he (Ginger) wakes up my daughter can hold it and I'll do my best to send image... x

Erm yeah may be slightly hard, not much experience other than that warm, large area resting on my arm when we had handling/cuddle time!
Or waddling along behind them!

Not sure when it comes to penis/vagina stuff!?! Is the hammy by him/her self?

My daughter's hamster...
We were told it's a boy...
I don't think it is... how do you sex a wiggly, squirmy, fuzzy furbaby?
@Sophie Blane . She has a hamster, may be able to help you here
I know my Syrian is a girl because she doesn’t have the male *package* :))

My dwarf however, I don’t know, we were told he was a boy so we just went with it, he isn’t kept in a pair so I don’t really think it matters

I’m not an expert with hamsters so I’m not entirely sure, but if it’s a Syrian you will see when they descend

I know my Syrian is a girl because she doesn’t have the male *package* :))

My dwarf however, I don’t know, we were told he was a boy so we just went with it, he isn’t kept in a pair so I don’t really think it matters

I’m not an expert with hamsters so I’m not entirely sure, but if it’s a Syrian you will see when they descend
Yeah definitely agree, I've only personally had one dwarf, he was 'well packaged'! So was quite easy to tell!
But was 1+ so not much experience with younger than that! Syrians on the other hand, well could package the other hand! :xd::yikes:

At three months, the testicles should be pretty obvious- hams have BIG testicles. In females you should also be able to see the double rows of nipples down either side of her belly. If the ham doesn't like being flipped over, you can get a good look by tempting her up to the top of the cage with a treat and taking a look.
I only have females to show, but here's a picture where you can see the underside of Carmen (female)- no bulge at the back end and if you look along the sides you can see her nipples. Pink hat is a clue but not necessary for sexing! ;)
1552617179089.png

Based on @Freela reply above, what colour hat is your hammie wearing :))

But in all seriousness I found this guide had some good tips.
How Do I Determine if My Hamster is Male or Female?

I have a male Winter White and based on the shape of his back end it is fairly clear he is a male but i know it varies from hamster to hamster.

Thank you everyone for all your help, and I really appreciate it.

Ginger lives alone, but with my daughter constantly loving, playing and giving cuddles at "awake time" it's hardly a solitary lifestyle....
Ginger however must have had a 6th sense I wanted "photo time" last night and refused to wake up for playtime. (Don't panic we did check for breathing) but decided a nice warm freshly made stuffing nest was far more appealing than "ball time"... so the quest for a photo continues... however this is the hamster in question the day we brought Ginger home...
So at least you all know what the fuss is about!

I will be checking for nipples, but Ginger is so wriggly, and as for body shape, bottom seems quite round at the moment.

Ultimately it doesn't matter I suppose what sex Ginger is, but it would be better than calling Ginger a "She-He" or Trans, or "it" every time my daughter and I refer to Ginger in conversation lol x

Attachments

• 20190212_211003.jpg
    20190212_211003.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20190212_211457.jpg
    20190212_211457.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20190212_211013.jpg
    20190212_211013.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1
Thank you everyone for all your help, and I really appreciate it.

Ginger lives alone, but with my daughter constantly loving, playing and giving cuddles at "awake time" it's hardly a solitary lifestyle....
Ginger however must have had a 6th sense I wanted "photo time" last night and refused to wake up for playtime. (Don't panic we did check for breathing) but decided a nice warm freshly made stuffing nest was far more appealing than "ball time"... so the quest for a photo continues... however this is the hamster in question the day we brought Ginger home...
So at least you all know what the fuss is about!

I will be checking for nipples, but Ginger is so wriggly, and as for body shape, bottom seems quite round at the moment.

Ultimately it doesn't matter I suppose what sex Ginger is, but it would be better than calling Ginger a "She-He" or Trans, or "it" every time my daughter and I refer to Ginger in conversation lol x

S/he is beautiful :)

I’ve just found these photos on google which may be able to help with the sexing

D926D467-28E8-49C8-9D05-163646749EE6.png

0804E742-7211-4B39-A6C9-593ABDE873EB.png

Your hammie is lovely:love::love: I'm not allowed any more hamsters my OH says 5 piggies is enough. I would love another hammie though they are really lovely unless it is my last one called Archie who really was the most antisocial hamster EVER!

This is the first hamster we've had in probably 6 years. Our last hamster Daisy, she escaped and lived under the floorboards under the desk in the utility for most of her life... she was antisocial too lol

She's adorable... ironically, hamsters were the one rodent I didn't really like in my teens/twenties, when I had a lot of small pets... I got a bad bite from a hamster in early grade school and that put me off. I never owned one until my own kids wanted pets of their own and I wanted something that would be happy living alone, so I grudgingly let them get hamsters and absolutely fell in love with the little guys! I totally missed out earlier in life by misjudging hamsters, they are legitimately sweet little guys!

Back