• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Harrys operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gothchick1515

I am booking the operation tomorrow he will finally be able to move in with the ladies! I am worried because i no the risks involved but he cant be alone in that shed all the time its not fair when hes such a friendly boy. if any of you have had a boar neutered could you let me know about it and if you think it was worth it. ill keep u all updated with pics etc x

Hi Verity
I had Max my rescue piggie neutered about 2 months ago now and I defiently think it was worth it.
he's just moved in with some girlies and seems to be enjoying having some friends!

The op was really straight forward- i dropped him off at about half 8 in the morning and picked him up at the end of the day. You ring at about lunchtime to check all went well.

Afterwards he really was completely normal- you wouldnt have known he had had an op, he just had a shaved belly and a small incision. (I'll try and upload some piccies I took if you like). Afterwards he had a check up 3 days later and another at 10 days if needed (which it wasn't).

Things to watch out for during his recovery- make sure you bed him on something like vet bed or towels for a couple of days, not hay as it can irritate the incision site. Make sure he eats, drinks and goes to the toilet by the next morning. Also keep him inside and warm as having a GA drops the body temperature.

Hope Harry's op goes well :)

I've had both my boys done and they were fine afterwards. As Mandy has said, just bed him down on towels or simply paper for the first few days to prevent irritation and give him plenty of pro-biotics. The vets should give him painrelief before and after the op, and at the checkup a few days later.

I found putting hay in a toilet roll for the first few days stops them bedding down on it, and I also had a heatpad to help keep them comfy.

Good Luck!

We have a £1 shop nearby so ill stock up on towels, he will be brought indoors and probably stay indoors until feb cos he doesnt have a hutch so he'd be too cold. the lady said she cant make appointments for november yet incase people need them in an emergancy its £45 for the op plus board,food and the check up so my estimate is £110! but thats ok it cos 145 to get our bunny neutered. i want to do it now because hes not yet one so i assumed there might not be as much risk. i no he cant wait to move in with the ladies! hopefully but feb they'll all be together!

What a brilliant idea putting hay in a toilet roll! Will do that for Badger as he is recovering from an operation. Had put hay in one part of the cage but he had spread it around and has been lying on it. This way he gets his hay but keeps it away from his wound. :)

Verity said:
We have a £1 shop nearby so ill stock up on towels, he will be brought indoors and probably stay indoors until feb cos he doesnt have a hutch so he'd be too cold. the lady said she cant make appointments for november yet incase people need them in an emergancy its £45 for the op plus board,food and the check up so my estimate is £110! but thats ok it cos 145 to get our bunny neutered. i want to do it now because hes not yet one so i assumed there might not be as much risk. i no he cant wait to move in with the ladies! hopefully but feb they'll all be together!

:o :o Your vet sounds REALLY expensive! My bun's spay cost £70 and I thought that was a lot and spays cost more than neutering. If I were you I'd ring round just to check you're not being ripped off, £110 seems extortionate for a piggy neuter, £45 would be acceptable to me for the whole thing, how much food and board can one pig need?

Don't forget, keep him away from the girlies for a good few weeks as he will still be fertile. I think the price is very high too. My rabbits, boy and girl were £25 each to be neutered. it was over a year ago but I don't think it will be much more now. I would ring around your vets in the area. make sure they are experienced though as this is as important as the price.

I paid 40 pound to have Marvin neutered.

Went there in the morning, picked him up in the afternoon, he was fine and didnt even try to pull the stitches himself ;)

Towels are def. a good idea, to see if anything is oozing out, and to see if he is passing urine normal and pooing healthy.

After a week we went back to the vets to have someone look at his stitches, everything fine - and that was the end of it :)

ARC get all their single boys neutered so they can be paired up with girlies before they are re homed. I would certainly agree bring him in for a few nights, put towels in part of his area so he has something soft and warm to lie on, provide lots of tasty treats to tempt him back to eating as soon as possible. check the wound regularly for the first few hours, then twice a day after 24 hours post op for signs of redness, oozing, infection, gaping. It is rare for them to develop problems.

Your vet does sound very expensive to me, I would also suggest ringing about to find cheaper vets, another idea would be to contact a local rescue and see who they use ... they will have a vet who is experienced with neutering small animals. The vet we use will charge you about £40 and will take them in the night before if dropping off the morning of their operation is a problem.

Your vet is v expensive! :o

Max's neuter cost £31, but I know thats a good deal.

I say shop around a bit....I also think its a bit strange that they wont book him in now :-\

Our last guinea castrate was around £40.00, that included post op check up.

Barbara

are vets are freaky but they are the closest too me nad hte only one my mum will take me too! they have some odd ways and some VERY high prices!

BOOKED IT!

Monday 30th October 9:05 am!

total cost £45

I'm already nervous! will need reassurence txts throughout the day! lol

cheers Lucinda! Its a week tomorrow EEK! lol I'm worried but he so wants to be friends with them! I'm so torn!

Dropped him off this morning and he looked so scared! got the cage all set up with the towels will take pics of the scars later he will probably hate me but I'm sure ill be forgiven when he moves in with tia nad maria what do you think?x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back