Has anyone had harvest mice as pets?

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so after our visit ot the exotic vet today I am now investigating harvest mice as pets.
There was a tank of them in the surgery and I fell in love, despite not usually being the hugest mouse fan.
But harvest mice are the sweetest and most interesting creatures ever.

However there seems to be a real lack of info out there on keeping them, so has any here ever had them as pets?

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've not had any myself, but we had 2 colonies in the rodent room at college while I was there, they were lovely, active little things and were pretty simple to care for. My favourite thing ever was going in first thing and seeing all their faces poking out of their tennis ball hides 😅

I may have some info on them in some of the exotic rodent books I have, I'll have to have a look if I can find them. Not sure where half my stuff is since moving house!

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone.
There is some really good information there.
I will let you all know the final outcome, but I am sorely tempted.

Plus I can just blame Ruby because if it wasn't for her vet trip I would never have even considered them (or actually known they can be kept as pets).

Bill & Ted

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I have actually seen Harvest Mice in an enclosure at Paradise Park in Hayle, they are fascinating little creatures. Two were climbing along a rope bridge, amazing to watch and so tiny too. They have breeding programs for rare species, particularly birds and red pandas. Had a lovely day with my granddaughters about 2 years ago now

Gem789

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I have actually seen Harvest Mice in an enclosure at Paradise Park in Hayle, they are fascinating little creatures. Two were climbing along a rope bridge, amazing to watch and so tiny too. They have breeding programs for rare species, particularly birds and red pandas. Had a lovely day with my granddaughters about 2 years ago now
Always wanted to go to paradise Park. Maybe one day.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I kept them as a teenager and loved them! Just be aware, they aren't cuddle pets, their enclosure has to be totally chew proof as they will get through ANYTHING that isn't glass or strong metal. They will breed very quickly is mis-sexed. Other than that I found them very uncomplicated to keep, they were pretty clean and loved their grub! Such lovely little creatures!

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh my goodness they're adorable! I've never seen them for sale here in Canada... I had several mice as a child, but they were just regular domestic mice, not these little guys!

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I kept them as a teenager and loved them! Just be aware, they aren't cuddle pets, their enclosure has to be totally chew proof as they will get through ANYTHING that isn't glass or strong metal. They will breed very quickly is mis-sexed. Other than that I found them very uncomplicated to keep, they were pretty clean and loved their grub! Such lovely little creatures!
Thanks @Flutterby - that is pretty much what I thought.
I am actually very happy with observational pets - they just seem super entertaining, and after having lived with Miss Ruby for so long I fully understand that not ever animal wants to be handled :whistle:
My real difficulty will be finding a breeder as they are not a common pet here in Switzerland. But I am working on it.