• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Has Anyone Tried To Get A Full Refund On Ebay?

TheLottiediarys

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I work in a little bookstore at a market stall, I offer a servies for some people where I order book into the shop for them from online like ebay and amazon.

I had a bit of a bad Headcold at the start of the week and had a blunder when ordering a book for a customer.

I ended up accidently ordering it twice from two different sellers on ebay
I realised what I had done literally a minute after I had paid.
So I went back to the ebay help page and found out I can cancel and order up to an hour after I have placed it!
Great!
So I try.... and I won't let me, it says all I can do is cancel the order through messaging the seller.
So... great that's fine I've just minutes before placed this order so I message the seller explaining what's happened and asking politely for it to be canceled.

Only to hear back a few days later that they have a 'quick dispatch rate' and my order has already been sent, But! I can return it for a refund... only I would have to pay the return postage.

So I'm a little annoyed because I did everything I should have done and it's going to cost me the 2.80
But the book literally cost me 2.80 so it's not worth returning it.
It's not a kind of book I could re sell on the stall because it's a bit of an old specific type so my only option really is to resell it online :/

But I'm a bit annoyed that ebay says you can cancel and order up to and hour after ordering it but it wouldn't let me do that and has cost me money now?

Does anyone have any experience trying to get their full refund on this kind of thing?

I have had lots of refunds for items lost in the post but sadly, if you want to return an item then yes, you have to send it back, pay postage and then get a refund which as you've discovered, isn't always worth it.

You could try arguing it because you did cancel within time but in my experience, if the seller fast dispatched the item, they will win the appeal and there is nothing you can do but return it and get a refund.

Sometimes arguing can also mean you don't get your full refund. My daughter got into a dispute over an incorrect item that was sent out. She was offered a full refund if she paid to return the wrong item which was very heavy and would cost more to post than the refund. After a few days of back and forth emails, through eBay's help centre, she was told she could keep the item (which was no use to her) and have a 50% refund. She declined and still tried for a full refund and in the end got nothing!

It's incredibly annoying!

I used to sell books on amazon and they had a very strong customer is always in the right policy and you would always lose appeals to the customer!
Which was annoying if you were in the right as the seller but I guess ebay seems to favour the seller more
:/ :/

I guess I'll have to be annoyed but try to sell it elsewhere :/

What book is it? Someone here might be interested. Me and my daughter buy loads of books off ebay. I'm currently collecting the 2010 series of Lemony Snicket, A series of unfortunate events :)

Ooh I loved those books :)

It's the Guiness book of winners and champions by Chris cook if any one is interested :)

Unfortunately the second you won the auction you entered into a contract with the seller. The seller can be kind and agree to cancel the contract for no cost but if it's been sent then the only refund you are entitled to is the cost of the item if you return it (and only then it's because you made the error). Had it been the seller's error you would have been entitled to a full refund including postage

I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I work in a little bookstore at a market stall, I offer a servies for some people where I order book into the shop for them from online like ebay and amazon.

I had a bit of a bad Headcold at the start of the week and had a blunder when ordering a book for a customer.

I ended up accidently ordering it twice from two different sellers on ebay
I realised what I had done literally a minute after I had paid.
So I went back to the ebay help page and found out I can cancel and order up to an hour after I have placed it!
Great!
So I try.... and I won't let me, it says all I can do is cancel the order through messaging the seller.
So... great that's fine I've just minutes before placed this order so I message the seller explaining what's happened and asking politely for it to be canceled.

Only to hear back a few days later that they have a 'quick dispatch rate' and my order has already been sent, But! I can return it for a refund... only I would have to pay the return postage.

So I'm a little annoyed because I did everything I should have done and it's going to cost me the 2.80
But the book literally cost me 2.80 so it's not worth returning it.
It's not a kind of book I could re sell on the stall because it's a bit of an old specific type so my only option really is to resell it online :/

But I'm a bit annoyed that ebay says you can cancel and order up to and hour after ordering it but it wouldn't let me do that and has cost me money now?

Does anyone have any experience trying to get their full refund on this kind of thing?

Make sure you sell 1 of them to the order person for more than the price you paid for both. Then you have lost nothing.

Unfortunately the second you won the auction you entered into a contract with the seller. The seller can be kind and agree to cancel the contract for no cost but if it's been sent then the only refund you are entitled to is the cost of the item if you return it (and only then it's because you made the error). Had it been the seller's error you would have been entitled to a full refund including postage

I don't know if it makes a difference but it was a buy now sale rather then an aunction sale,
I'm mostly annoyed because ebay says you can cancel an order up to an hour after its been paid but when it came down to it the site wouldn't let me? That seems wrong :(

Make sure you sell 1 of them to the order person for more than the price you paid for both. Then you have lost nothing.
Unfortunately when I order stock in I take payment straight away, as some of the stuff he wants to buy can be anywhere from a few pounds to £50-70
And I need the money first to order it :/
But if I sell it online I will price it up!

I don't know if it makes a difference but it was a buy now sale rather then an aunction sale,
I'm mostly annoyed because ebay says you can cancel an order up to an hour after its been paid but when it came down to it the site wouldn't let me? That seems wrong :(

Unfortunately when I order stock in I take payment straight away, as some of the stuff he wants to buy can be anywhere from a few pounds to £50-70

You can usually cancel it BUT the seller probably has to click on agree too. I had someone buy something off me once then realize it was collection only (I hade it written Large in numerous areas but ok) and wanted to cancel. I had to accept their cancellation and then my site fees were refunded. I didn't have to refund the buyer as they had not paid at that time.

I think the biggest issue with yours is...the seller claimed to have posted it already.

Yes this. They are not obligated to pay your return shipping fee, in fact there is no obligation to accept returns of any kind unless you specify it.

It still makes no difference. This is not ordering through distance sales, it is still an auction and the second you click to bid you enter into a contract. Buyers can only cancel the order by contacting the seller, the seller does not have to accept the cancellation and unfortunately in your case the item had already been posted. I know some companies use ebay and the order goes through to a factory/business whereas the account for messages is managed by one person. I understand your disappointment but all I can suggest is selling the book on perhaps using ebay to get the money back

It still makes no difference. This is not ordering through distance sales, it is still an auction and the second you click to bid you enter into a contract. Buyers can only cancel the order by contacting the seller, the seller does not have to accept the cancellation and unfortunately in your case the item had already been posted. I know some companies use ebay and the order goes through to a factory/business whereas the account for messages is managed by one person. I understand your disappointment but all I can suggest is selling the book on perhaps using ebay to get the money back

I know it just seemed really off that ebay says you can cancel the order but you actually can't that's why I was upset in the first place
Not that the order was already shipped because I understand from the seller's point of view as I have sold on amazon before so I get it from that point of view :/

In the end it was my fault and I get that but why does ebay say you can cancel the order when you actually can't that's what's annoyed me :/

Back