Having a nightmare with water bottles!

Fozzy44

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don’t know if it’s me doing something wrong or Frodo just has an ability to look at a water bottle and make it leak, but seriously this is getting ridiculous now!
I’ve always used the ‘Classic’ or ‘Rotastak’ brand red and clear water bottles and to be honest I’ve never really had a problem. I had to split the boys so they’ve now got one each. Loki’s one is fine, no bother at all. Frodo’s gets filled up and by next morning the fleece is soaking and he’s shouting for a drink. I’ve bought a new one, swapped it with Loki’s one, tried different brands and literally nothing works! His fleece is always wet and the bottle is empty :(
The glass ‘Living World’ bottles either leak like crazy or just stop working and don’t let any water out at all, Frodo can’t seem to work out the ‘Ferplast Sippy’ bottles, the cheap generic ones I’ve got off amazon/eBay have proved to be pretty rubbish too.
I’m tearing my hair out trying to find a bottle that doesn’t leak (the holy grail for small animal owners) and that he can use easily. Help! :help:

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
My Peanut (rip) was the same it wasn't till one day I watched him drinking and realised he was gulping so much down that it was running out his mouth. I had to put a rolled up towel down under the bottles and then the drip pad. Lol

Adelle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Make sure when you fill the bottle up that u fill it completely (with no air in it whatsoever). This creates a vacuum and only way water comes out is when the ball moves .. alot of people complain about non drip water bottles dripping but they don't fill them correctly! Only other thing I can think of, a hamster I used to have would put his mouth on the bottle and pull it back and forth letting the water run down him and onto his sawdust. He literally just wanted to empty his bottle!

Dill&Pepper

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I used to have a pig that thought it was hilarious to shake her water bottle until it was dry and she was stood in a puddle :doh:. I just used to change the fleece and fill up her bottle, but it was annoying.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Make sure when you fill the bottle up that u fill it completely (with no air in it whatsoever). This creates a vacuum and only way water comes out is when the ball moves .. alot of people complain about non drip water bottles dripping but they don't fill them correctly! Only other thing I can think of, a hamster I used to have would put his mouth on the bottle and pull it back and forth letting the water run down him and onto his sawdust. He literally just wanted to empty his bottle!
:agr: Definitely make sure it is filled to the brim with not large air bubbles stuck, tip the right way up and I always squeeze a little which I find helps start the vacuum.

I use these Ferplast bottles:

1552242794932.png

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The strange, one of my glass water bottles has a max fill line, about an inch from the top of the bottle. But it is made by kaytee🤔

Fozzy44

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It’s definitely something that Frodo is doing, because Loki’s is fine. He obviously thinks drenching the fleece is funny :td:
I always fill the bottles up to the top, I’ve scrubbed them out in hot water to clean the nozzles, I just can’t find a brand that doesn’t leak. It’s driving me mad! I’m having to change his fleece pretty much everyday because it’s soaking. I’m starting to think he does it on purpose because he loves a fresh fleece!

Fozzy44

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Try some sort of drip tray underneath?
I tried to put a bowl underneath to catch the drips but the bottom of the cage isn’t flat, there’s a little lip all the way around the edge so it kept tipping and the drips went down the side rather than into the bowl. And then because Frodo is a little monster who likes to tip everything over at the best of times it didn’t really work very well.

Tigermoth

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think I might be inclined to not give him a full bottle. Put an inch in it, he’s not drinking it so he won’t come to harm. And put a pad to soak it up underneath. Maybe once he learns it’s no fun he will stop...?

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
It’s definitely something that Frodo is doing, because Loki’s is fine. He obviously thinks drenching the fleece is funny :td:
I always fill the bottles up to the top, I’ve scrubbed them out in hot water to clean the nozzles, I just can’t find a brand that doesn’t leak. It’s driving me mad! I’m having to change his fleece pretty much everyday because it’s soaking. I’m starting to think he does it on purpose because he loves a fresh fleece!
These piggies will do anything to try us slaves!

Fozzy44

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think I might be inclined to not give him a full bottle. Put an inch in it, he’s not drinking it so he won’t come to harm. And put a pad to soak it up underneath. Maybe once he learns it’s no fun he will stop...?
Thing is tho he’s obviously thirsty because when I fill it up again he drinks for ages. I’ve watched him and it’s fine when he’s using it so I don’t know what he does when I’m not there 🙈

Kerrie74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Try squeezing the bottle a little bit, I've had this problem before, I use the bog standard ones that you can get from Wilko's and such, they do ok but do leak and break from time to time, sometimes giving them a little squeeze so a bit of water comes out the end helps.

Is there anything in the nozzle? One of our previous guinea's used to backwash the bottle and there would be food in the nozzle but we have a bottle brush that comes with a mini brush that you can clean the nozzle with.

Guinea Pig Magazine

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sometimes the backwash from eating nuggets then drinking, seizes the bottle spouts up or makes them leak
We've had pigs that manage to do this. They somehow spit or force food debris up the spout, causing the ball to not be able to make a seal. We now use the sippy 600ml bottles. But there is still the occasional leaker, Ginger is the current culprit. Try cleaning to spout out with a cotton bud, as Betsy mentioned.

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We've had pigs that manage to do this. They somehow spit or force food debris up the spout, causing the ball to not be able to make a seal. We now use the sippy 600ml bottles. But there is still the occasional leaker, Ginger is the current culprit. Try cleaning to spout out with a cotton bud, as Betsy mentioned.
Ive had one boar that used to do it, since then nothing

Fozzy44

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve cleaned them out a few times. Now I think about it tho... there has been foody bits floating in his bottle before. He must be sticking hay/food in the spout somehow! 🤦🏼‍♀️ I put the Sippy bottle back in last night and he seems to be getting the hang of it now. A good 100ml was gone and the floor wasn’t wet so he must be drinking it.
He’s an adorable little pig but my god he doesn’t half stress me out sometimes haha!