• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay - Am I Being Paranoid?

Pigwhisperer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The one on the left is from Pets at Home and looks way worse than usual, coarse and dry and yucky and straw-like so I went to the garden centre and bought the other one on the right. Husband says I should use up the PaH one but I want to chuck it........?20180419_095636.jpg

I got my answer. I just looked in - I had given them a pile of each and the PaH was almost untouched so I scooped it all out and replaced it with the other, and Clover actually started POPCORNING, which I have NEVER seen either of them do before. Actually jumping on all fours. PaH hay binned.

I live in a farming area and last year’s harvest was badly affected by the weather.
I would guess this means the quality of hay this year isn’t always going to be as good.

I’ve had a couple of mixed batches this year. I tend to put the coarse stuff at the bottom of the hay tray and the better stuff on top. It grieves me to throw it away when I’ve driven miles to collect it and spent my hard earned cash. But it’s a natural product and affected by nature so as @Merab's Slave says the weather last year is likely going to give us some dodgy crops of harvested hay.

I'm in a farming area too, you don't get much more farmy than Norfolk, but I don't think it explains the difference between the two bought a few weeks apart.

I'm in a farming area too, you don't get much more farmy than Norfolk, but I don't think it explains the difference between the two bought a few weeks apart.

It likely doesn't come from the same source, and some places may have had better luck with the harvest than others. I normally only buy hay from Nature's Own but their hay hasn't been great either, hit and miss.

I had some Burgess hay that looked like the P@H stuff last year, ended up with a few bags in fact. Switched to Nature's Own and it was amazing, very soft and Comet loved falling asleep in it as much as he did eating it.

Different suppliers can make a huge difference, it's not always just about the brand.

I think you were right to bin the pets at home stuff. I used to buy their basic Timothy hay until I got three bags that smelt like damp old grass! I returned the two I’d not used and dumped the open one into a field (I live in a farming area too!) and I started buying alfalfa king Timothy hay from PAH. It’s expensive compared to the other but so worth it in my opinion. It smells so sweet and is so green! They popcorn madly for it every morning!

Back