hay rack, good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i am fed up of having hay in a box with newspaper for my piggies because it begins to smell so i was wondering if a hay rack would be better, what do you all think, but i have read that they can get there heads stuck in the bars.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
the hay rack on my cage is angled downwards so the piggies don't push into it so much and I've never seen them have problems eating from it... although it does stay full until they've eaten all their wee soaked hay from their bedding rolleyes

Reaction score
Hay racks are good for keeping hay clean, however one of my guineas got scared one day and broke his teeth on a hay rack as they got caught whilst he trying to rapidly escape so i would just be a bit cautious and now use ones that attach to the outer side of the cage.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
oh yea should have said mine attaches to the outside of the cage

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggy savvy vet says hay racks are a must, as they hay will get very dirty and they'll still eat it and make themselves poorly (Mali did this). Make sure it's a guinea pig safe hay rack, and you'll be fine :) keep it off the floor! :D

Cute_Guineapigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
does anyone have any pictures to show their hay racks please, as I'm confused about how a hay rack is attached from the outside of the cage.

Reaction score
I have a ferplast hayrack on both my cages. It attatches on the outside by two moulded hooks(molded on the plastic rack) there is a bottom lip that sits on the base of the cage. Blinkin good they are. I got mine from amazon for less that £2.00:))

Reaction score
I have a hayrack and they love it whenever they fancy they just go and get some. But don't worry about getting their head stuck in bars as this has never happend to my piggies! xx:)x)

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the ferplast one, not quite well enough to get up and do all the picture taking but heres the ones on the net:

url

you can see the two hooks at the top and the lip at the bottom as explained fluffy69

and thats the cage with it on
url

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I find my hay rack gets munched in two seconds flat, they have a hay tray but that usually gets soaking wet...so now ive went back to the good old tissue box...and their old house upturned thats too small lol!

Harvey with his hay tray and the house is behind him:
himum.jpg

The boys and their hay rack is on the left, it has thick green wires but i find is a wee small:
mummynomnom.jpg

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i made my own it attaches inside :) only problem i used to have was they used to climb in it! they dont anymore though.

28thjuly005.jpg

006-2.jpg

nove4th097.jpg

PiratePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Here is Athena at her hay rack.

Hay! by Lisa5588, on Flickr

I noticed a couple months ago that she stopped eating hay so I switched to a plastic container that she can crawl into. I think her joints are getting old so it is difficult for her to stand up to eat. Also you can see she liked to drag the hay out of the rack and spread it around. She still does this with the hay container.

Little Piggles

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think hay racks are a godsend!

They save the good hay from getting soaked with pee (although they do seem toquite enjoy eating their bed just as much!)

We have two of these too, I got mine from Tesco and it was only about 70p! (I think they were clearing stocks!)

The boys and their hay rack is on the left, it has thick green wires but i find is a wee small:
mummynomnom.jpg

Not a very clear pic but...

IMG_0960.jpg

...and two corner litter trays filled with hay

We have a fixed rack in the hutch too which is screwed to the wall inside..

Oh, and two of these treat balls which I stuff with hay sometimes too...

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/hay_racks/13210

Hmm... we seem to have too many hay racks! :))

Reaction score
My piggies have a hay rack in their shed, here's a photo of Pip demonstrating :)

P1050054.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.