• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

He used to love us but now he doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacross

We've had our male guinea pig Jake for almost a year - he was the most loving cuddly little boy until we bought him a girlfriend, Penny. (He's neutered) They've been together for a month now and he's stopped showing us any love. If we go to pick him up he squeals and struggles and runs away to her, he used to love being picked up and cuddled! We thought it was a temporary thing, but he's not the same as he used to be.

Penny isn't very friendly, she only comes out of her box when she thinks we're not looking, and won't pay us much attention. They amuse us for hours just watching them! They're so happy - they chase each other and popcorn and squeak, and won't be seperated - they follow each other everywhere. But if we move closer to them, or go to give them a carrot or stroke them they bolt. They don't love us. Is there anything we can do to get our cuddly boy back? :(

I'm no expert but you could at least try this. maybe if you try and catch them both at the same time and cuddle with them both on your knee your boar will know he wont be separated then after a little bit take the girl away while you distract him with his favourite food. Thats all I have to suggest hope you get your cuddly boy back!

Doeylicious

Adult Guinea Pig
Dodge has definitely become less of a cuddly boy since he moved in with his wifey Cherry, he was a proper little monster for a couple of weeks, blooming rumble strutting up and down the hutch front every time I went to say hello - she was his girl, I wasn't allowed in!

It's made me a little sad as he was definitely 'my baby boy' out of all my piggies, and it's like he's grown up and left home now lol. But then I see him and Cherry munching hay together, sleeping next to each other, kissing each other...and I know he is a million times happier than he ever was cuddling with me.

My mum says part of being a mother is letting them go, suppose it's the same thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.