• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

He wont let me cut his toenails help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gothchick1515

I have just bought some cutters for guineas and cut Zubins back feet sucsessfully then i went to do his front feet and he bit me not a nip a proper bite it hurt but he didnt peirce the skin so its ok how can i get him to stay still and not bite me when I'm doing his front nails? i need to no as there beginning to curl! x

I always find it hard to cut the front nails! LOL, If you have someone holding Zubin and then they put their fingers gently under his chin for a while to hold his head up a little, then you'll be able to do his nails.. works if you can be quick! Failing that, someone hold him and feed him at the same time (get him to look the other way), that way he's not too bothered at what you're doing! :)

mine hate having their fingers cut too! It's hard to describe how I do it but it's something like this - sit down, wedge the guinea agiainst your side/front with your elbow of the arm you don't cut with. Then use that hand to hold the paw tightly you are going to cut. I haven't explained very well but it is easier this way, you have more control over the paw. remember to cut a tiny bit off - you can always have a second go! Good luck!

I wrap a thick towel round the arm that's not doing the cutting so that Mildred can bite but not get skin. It seems to keep her occupied. :D

DebbieR said:
I wrap a thick towel round the arm that's not doing the cutting so that Mildred can bite but not get skin. It seems to keep her occupied. :D

I use a towel sometimes, but have never been able to get to their front nails this way! LOL

Oh I gave up trying to wrap it round Mildred a long time ago. Now I just protect my arm. If she thinks she can bite me it takes her mind off what I'm doing to her claws. It's just to get her to look the other way for the required time :D

I did it hehe i did it a foot at a time hehe and i distracted him by getting my sis to click her fingers so he listened and stayed still yay! x

lol yeh I'm sure i didnt cut enough off though but i suppose its slowly getting him used to it and it saves me £15 for vets and i can use them on my bunnies too so thats £75 wow! hehe i dont need to worry about Griffy at the mo, hes still got his little babie sharp nails lol x

yeah i sure does £15 a time, just think I got 12 of them! LOL.. But it's good maybe a little trim every other week to get them down..
Guinea's got needle like nails too!

Kelly xx

nail_diagrame.jpg

You should see a pink line if your piggy has light coloured nails. Never cut to close to the pink line, which is the quick, as it is very painful for the piggies and will bleed. Just incase this ever happens, have a bottle of styptic powder (quick stop) out, to stop the bleeding. Above is a diagram I drew of where you should cut.

Thanks thats really helpful, its more the getting him to stay still that i need to master the art of !

Remember if you have a dark colour nail just cut the tip. If it does bleed dip the toe in some cornflour. That will stop the bleeding. Most people usually have that in their cupbaords.

Michele

Luckily both his and Griffin have clear/white nails i wouldnt attempt it if they where black i worry too much thanks for the tip anyways x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back