• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Head tilt......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teejay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. Last night, all of a sudden, Squeak started tilting his head to one side and seemed irritated around his ear (rubbing it with his front feet and rubbing it on things in the cage). He was absolutely fine one minute, tearing around the lounge during floor time, then the next minute he was doing this.

He's bright and happy in himself, eating and drinking as normal, and doesn't seem to have any trouble walking.......I suspected an ear infection.

I had some Baytril left over from when he and Pudding had a URI a couple of weeks ago, so I started him on that last night, at the same dose as for the URI (0.3ml twice a day). I think I have enough Baytril for the full 5 days.

I'll keep a very close eye on him and get him to the vets if he seems to deteriorate (my vets are open on weekends).

Does this seem like a sensible course of action, or should I get him to the vets anyway?. I know that the vet will just give him Baytril........

Tracey

I would take him to the vets to be sure. It could also be ear mites. Better to have the right treatment early on. :)

Hi Flips.....thanks for your reply. I had a quick google for 'ear mites in guinea pigs' and I'm not sure the symptoms match up.....Squeak did seem to be bothered a bit by the ear last night (he was laying with that side on the fleece, etc) and he did 'wash' it once or twice, but, since then, he's just had the head tilt, no scratching, no rubbing, no 'washing', etc (I watched him closely for about half hour this morning).

I'll see how he is later (when i get home from work :() and book an appointment for tomorrow.

I've spent more time at the vets with the piggies in 2 months than I have with my two 10 year old cats in all the time I've had them! Hehe!

Tracey

Ear infection or ear mites - but Squeak needs to be seen by a vet pretty soon. An untreated ear infection can kill.

I know the feeling; sometimes you think you could camp out at the vets...

Hi Wiebke, he's already had two doses of Baytril.....one last night and one this morning.......thankfully, I had kept what I had left over from the URI in the fridge.

These piggies will send me grey, I know it! Probably already have, but I just can't tell under all the hair dye....hehe!

Head tilt is normally indicative of something other than baytril can cure.

Possible causes:
a) Ear mites in this type of situation is most common which reuqires ivermectin and ear drops

b) Infection/pus in the ear could mean an infection which requires a more penetrating antibiotic such as septrin or azithormax.

c) stroke/deprivation of oxygen..doesn;t seem likely in this case in view of what you have said

Please take your piggie to the vets TOMORROW to get the right treatment....baytril is not a "cure-all" for piggie problems.....and is probably NOT the right treatment for this particular condition as others here have already implied..

In view of the symtpoms....to continue with home-medicated baytril (as an alternative to visiting the vets for a proper diganosis and treatment) can do more harm than good...and is not in the best interests of the piggies health and welfare...and against the vet Surgeons Act

Please re-consider and book an appontment with a cavy savvy vet. Head tilt is a serious condition with serious long term complications if not diagnosed and treated correctly

x

Do you have a guinea pig savvy vet? I have heard there is a very good vet in Dudley and I can find the details out for you tomorrow.

It is important to get this checked by a vet. Although it can be useful having some left over antibiotic, especially when a condition starts at a weekend or when it can be more difficult to get an immediate vet appointment, but this must only be seen as a temporary measure. It is important to get a proper diagnosis and treatment from a vet as soon as you possibly can.

have pm'd you with our vet details who is fantastic with pigs if you need it

Hiya, sorry I've not replied sooner.....I did take Squeak to the vet yesterday morning; she diagnosed an ear infection (no evidence of ear mites when she examined him) and told me to carry on with the Batril.......:(.....

Thank you, Sportbilly, for sending me the info for the cavy savvy vet, but Squeak had already been seen by my own vet by the time I saw your message. I'll definately use the vet in Womborne/Gornal in future, though.

Anyway, despite the fact that the general consensus of opinion is that Baytril might not be the right treatment, Squeak has lost his head tilt, is well, happy and completely back to his normal squeaky cheeky self!

Tracey

pleased he is looking better!

We adopted a piggy with a head tilt, though not significant, we are aware of the condition and did a lot of research. She has been seen by a vet for ? EC had Panacur for 28 days then a seven day course of antibiotics to rule out an ear infection. All to no avail and prognosis is an old injury (possibly dropped :...)
We were told she will have good days and bad, the tilt becomes more noticeable when she is tired so are keeping a close watch - so far, she has been totally fine :)) and is displaying lots of normal piggy behaviour/traits :(|) I worried that she would be in pain on a bad day so am just taking it day by day with her - she is lapping up all the attention though x) I opened a post office account to put money aside for a vet fund for her and my other piggies in case of emergencies to safeguard their future so have no worries about whisking her off even if it's a false alarm rolleyes
Really happy your piggy has recovered :))

I am really pleased to hear this.......

Your prompt action in giving an antibiotic when you first noticed the symptoms is great.....it is always the first course of action if you can't seek vet treatment within the next 24 hours.....

HOWEVER: The fact that you then DID seek/follow-up vet treatment to validate/authorise what you are doing (rather than just rely on baytril) and get a proper diagnosis (and check no other/different meds were necessary) is even more laudable

It's hard sometimes because of the extra expense etc.....

Anyhow........Well done!

x

Glad to hear Squeak is now okay xx>>>

Our Marmite had a similar strange head tilt a few weeks ago which changed sides overnight and then, like Squeak, completely disappeared! I *think* hers was related to a URI she was suffering with at the time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back