• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hello and question about fleece liners

stascha15

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum- we have two young guinea pig boars, they are now 8 weeks old and seem to be settling in well. We have a 5ft Chartwell Double outdoor hutch. Is there a reason not to use fleece liners outdoors? At the moment we use wood shavings but I read that many people use liners for indoor cages and they seem to be much less messy than shavings which go everywhere when cleaning out! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m from Wiltshire too and have two boars 😃. I use wood shavings so have no advice about fleece. Lol. But I think that they wick the moisture from the air and so get damp quickly. I’m sure someone with more experience of this will be along soon.

Fleece outside can problematic as it can wick moisture from the air and not dry. You might be ok if it’s a dry summer, but a damp summer it won’t work well. Definitely cannot use it in winter.

My two boys have a 6ft hutch in my shed and have free access to the shed floor to play. In previous years I’ve used fleece on the shed floor only (the hutch is always aubiose/megazorb topped with lots of hay year round) in summer to save on bedding costs but to be honest I’ve not used fleece much this year. I prefer the disposable bedding for its ease and not having piles of piggy washing to get done as I have enough human washing to keep on top of!

:agr: with the above posts. Fleece is not suitable for outside hutches as a result of it becoming damp. There are many types of bedding including shavings that are suitable for outside hutches. Here is a link to our bedding guide Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Back