Hello I'm New!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a new piggy owner with only one boy, Fudge, at the moment. He's a chocolate coloured Abyssinian and I'm in the process of trying to tame him. I also have a bunny Pippa who's very hormonal and awaiting a trip to the vets for a spay after which I'm going to get her a boyfriend. I'm not sure what to do with Fudge, whether to try him with another boar, he's only about 9 weeks old so he might accept one, or whether to get some girls in an adjacent cage for him to squeak at. Any advice welcome!

Deb

Reaction score
Hello Kayjay

Welcome to the forum :). Glad you popped on and joined.

Lots of piggie crazy people on here who have very good advice and years of experience who will be more than willing to help with anything you have queries on.

Very warm welcome from me and oinkers

Deb x

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Fudge sounds beautiful - a bit like my Roo pig I think! There are lots of pictures of him in the photo gallery as he was the star attraction at our fundraising day on Saturday!

You may find that he takes to a new pig well as he is still young - a baby of 3 or 4 weeks maximum would be your best bet. Or you could consider another pig/pigs in a cage next to him for him to talk to.

www.barmy4boars.co.uk is a great site for options for boars.

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Where would be the best place for a 3-4 week old baby - do rescues have them that young?

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some rescues do!

Or a breeder will sometimes have very young pigs.

Which area are you in? I'll see if I can find anything for you.

Barmy4boars

Reaction score
Welcome Kayjay!

Would love to see pics of Fudge sometime he sounds so sweet! Great news you are thinking of getting him a friend, it really is the best gift you can give. Unless you are going to get him a 4 week old baby (pershops don't have them this young you will need a rescue or a responsible breeder) very soon (which seems to be the best option), my advice would be wait a bit as sort of 3 months- 8 months I've found is an akward age for pairings. Or you could get another boar to live next door and try introducing them slowly when the time is right.

Give me a shout if you want any help at all

S

stargate

Hi, where abouts are you, I might have a baby boar which would fit what you are looking for.He's just coming up to 5 weeks lod and him and his 2 brothers have just been weaned.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Hi There

Welcome to The Guinea Pig Forum.

I hope that you enjoy posting here anim

kayjay

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Barmy4boars said:
Welcome Kayjay!

Would love to see pics of Fudge sometime he sounds so sweet! Great news you are thinking of getting him a friend, it really is the best gift you can give. Unless you are going to get him a 4 week old baby (pershops don't have them this young you will need a rescue or a responsible breeder) very soon (which seems to be the best option), my advice would be wait a bit as sort of 3 months- 8 months I've found is an akward age for pairings. Or you could get another boar to live next door and try introducing them slowly when the time is right.

Give me a shout if you want any help at all
Thanks for the advice. I'm not certain how old he is. Having explained the 'evils' of pet shops to my son, we were in a pet shop and fell in love with Fudge and couldn't leave him there! When I asked how old he was the lady said 'um about 8 or 9 weeks I would think' so she wasn't sure at all. I'm afraid as an inexperienced piggy owner of introducing a baby and having him attack it.

I was at a friends house yesterday and was speaking to someone who turned out to be a vet. She suggested neutering him and then he could live with girls. She said neutering male piggies was quite straightforward. Is this something you've done? I'm not sure I want to go down that path though as it seems unneccessary to put him though that if he can be happy another way.

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum! :) Fudge sounds adorable!

You don't really need to neuter him just so that he can have a female friend. Male company will be fine.

You can try and introduce him to another boar now, but make sure that it's on neutral territory and a freshly cleaned hutch/cage with all new smells

Status
Not open for further replies.