• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help about a baby bird!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gems

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Steven was cutting down some of the trees in our back garden and sadly one of the trees he's cut down had a nest in with a baby bird in ( he thinks its a wood pidgeon ). He's quite upset as he didn't realise and we don't know what to do as the poor little thing looks terrified. What we think is the mother is sitting on the roof watching and we've come inside to see if it comes down but although the babies got feathers it looks too young to fly so we're a bit stumped as to what to do for the best really

Any ideas?

Try to put the nest back up in a nearby tree at about the same height. If the mother bird doesn't return, and she probably won't, then it's hand rear it or simply allow nature to take it's normal course with baby birds and leave it for the predators.

I wouldn't just leave the poor thing to die! I'm not that heartless! He really does feel awful, he wouldn't intentionally have done it.

We're watching from the window for now, the mother has now landed on the conservatory roof. The adjacant tree is still there so we can attempt to put the nest in that one

We've managed to get the nest back into the adjacant tree and have put the bird in the nest so we're going to try to keep an eye on it to see whether the mother comes back

Its a waiting game sadly.

Sometimes if a nest is disturbed the mother never returns. So you just have to sit it out.

:(

I had someone find a nest with 4 tiny gold finches in, they found it on the floor, and brought it to me!, we fed them on scrambled egg, tweezer fed and water via a syringe! 1 died over night but the other 3 went to the local santuary and have been released back into the wild! xx

Well the parents have been coming back and forth today with twigs so we think they may be repairing the nest? The baby is still sat in the nest so hopefully the little thing will be ok

Well I was hanging washing out earlier and one of the parents was in the nest with the baby so fingers crossed it'll all work out :)

Thats good news that the parents are visiting the nest and I'm sure that they will continue to do so. As they wouldnt have started repairing the nest if they wasnt. Maybe put some extra food out for the parents, so you will encourage them to stay nearby for food. x x

Stevens hung a few fat balls round the garden so hopefully that will encourage them to stay. Suffice to say the remainder of the trees are staying up for a few months and we'll have to just put up with the garden being a mess for now!

Oh dear what a shock for you :(
But it sounds like you've had a successful turn around for the little birdie :) WELL DONE xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back