Help and advice for introducing a new group please

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoBo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Here is then situation. I have a pair of existing female G.Pigs and a neutered male who will be ready to introduce to the girls on the 14th April. I am also getting another pair of girls in easter week (from a rescue) that will join this herd. My predicament is how do i introduce them all, i have put some options below. Please let me know what you think is the correct option or if you have another option i am more than happy to hear it.

Option 1: I put the male in with the existing pair of girls and then introduce the new pair of girls when i get them.

Option 2: I wait until i get the new pair of girls, then put all the girls together for a few days/weeks and then introduce the male.

Option 3: I wait until i get the new girls and put them, the original pair of girls and the neutered boy in all together at the same time.

Cant wait for your help x

JoBo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
no suggestions yet, Wiebke you are usually good at this sort of advice x

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
if it was me i would give the new girls a few days to settle into the surroundings and then introduce all 5 together at the same time.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I completely agree with lauralucy - make sure that all piggies are settled into their new surroundings/routine and have ideally met each other through the bars/mesh and show friendly interest in each other; that cuts down on additional stress factors with can cause overload reactions in some piggies.

I have found that taking it slowly pre-intro will give you a smoother intro because that is the point where you have to commit and let things run its due course.

Then introduce them all in one fell swoop on ample neutral ground on a day when you have lots of time; that way they can sort each other straight into the new hierarchy.

Best of luck!

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
perhaps if its warm enough and you have a big enough run in the graden would be a good place to introduce them?

Status
Not open for further replies.