• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help crisis on my hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I dont want to moan or go on 2 much but i need to get something off my chest,my Guinea Pig has got something on her face, it looks really sore, its like big scabbed area, bloody like sores and scabs. my other pig suffers from fungal but this looks different.the hair has fallen out and it looks like bald patches.
I have 3 Guinea Pigs, work full time and have a part time job also. My work told me a couple of weeks ago my post was being deleted, i work for the local council, i went for an interview and was lucky enough to get a tranfer to another centre, thing is its more travelling and more hours. at the mo when i get in from work it takes me 1 1/2 hrs to clean and feed pigs every day. some nights i dont get chance to eat myself once ive sorted the family out.

my husband doesnt like my pigs and we argue constantly over them.
The pigs are constantly ill and at the vets and to be honest i cant enjoy them as theres always something wrong.
I'm gutted to leave my job all my friends are there and understand me, i feel like I'm alone now.
my husband doesnt even speak to me most of the time and its really getting to me now,
I feel like i need to rehome my pigs. I'm taking Cheryl to the vets tomorrow to get her sorted out but just dont know whwt to do nxt.
Sorry to go on but its easier to speak to people who dont know us. :(

Reaction score
1) HUGE HUGS

2) Are your pigs in need of immidiate vet care?

3) Pm me if you want to moan/chat further, I'm always an open ear.

I understand the talking to people who don't know you thing ;) xxxxxx

Reaction score
Thankyou, just Cheryl at the moment needing vet care, ive been away for the weekend and got back today and didnt discover the scabs until after the vets closed tonight, they open at 8 in the morning so will take her b4 work see if they can fit her in if not ill get appointment for after work.
everything is just getting on top of me at the moment. xx

Reaction score
I know the feeling honey. But if you can find the strength to keep pushing forward, especially with your relationship, you'll be stronger in the end. My hubby and I are having issues, but we're working through them because we both love each other. :)

Hope you feel better, if you want to chat you can add me on facebook :) xx

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like ringworm - please have Guinea Pig checked by a vet. There are different forms of fungal.

I am so sorry for all the stress you are under; it can wear you down! At least, you didn't lose your job outright, even though thing will get tougher. Could you switch to a bedding that you have to clean the piggies only once or twice a week, even if it is less ideal in other respects? It is all about compromise, I guess.

Last edited:

bramleycaviesrescue

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please dont panic- email me I'm sure I can help you. I'm sure it is a very common fungal infection. Please email me and send me some pic's if you can. If it is what I think the cream you buy is about £7 and is available from the chemist.
My email bramleycaviesrescue@gmail.com
it will be tomorrow when I email you back, but please dont panic!

Reaction score
Please dont panic- email me I'm sure I can help you. I'm sure it is a very common fungal infection. Please email me and send me some pic's if you can. If it is what I think the cream you buy is about £7 and is available from the chemist.
My email bramleycaviesrescue@gmail.com
it will be tomorrow when I email you back, but please dont panic!
Ive put some canesten 1% cream on it for now, ill try and email pics, it just looks red, bloody scabs, really hard and crusty and lots of them, looks like her face is swollen but i think its just lots of scabs. cant believe how quick it its developed. it looks to bad to be treated with canesten to be honest, its really nasty, there wasnt anything there when i left on friday, she must of scratched it really badly while i was away. do you think daktarin would work any better?

Reaction score
Ive put some canesten 1% cream on it for now, ill try and email pics, it just looks red, bloody scabs, really hard and crusty and lots of them, looks like her face is swollen but i think its just lots of scabs. cant believe how quick it its developed. it looks to bad to be treated with canesten to be honest, its really nasty, there wasnt anything there when i left on friday, she must of scratched it really badly while i was away. do you think daktarin would work any better?
Just emailed you the pics.bramley cavies rescue. thanks. x

Last edited:
Reaction score
It sounds like ringworm - please have Guinea Pig checked by a vet. There are different forms of fungal.

I am so sorry for all the stress you are under; it can wear you down! At least, you didn't lose your job outright, even though thing will get tougher. Could you switch to a bedding that you have to clean the piggies only once or twice a week, even if it is less ideal in other respects? It is all about compromise, I guess.

I use fleece with newspaper underneath, because they live in the house they always smell, have you any better ideas? Thankyou.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I too was going to say it sounded like Ringworm, it seems to be rife at the moment. Canesten cream is the right treatment if it is. :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Three of my piggies have ringworm, too, and are on nizoral shampoo and canesten 1% cream... mallethead

I know that megazorb etc. are messier to clean, but they will spare you a daily change. I usually got away with a 3-4 day period before I switched to fleece. Poop control will not be necessary. It is all about making your life easier and taking the piggies out of the shooting line.

My Tribe is in the living room as well, and I change their fleeces every 2-3 days, but I have a layer of towels between fleece and newspaper. Have you considered cutting up an incontinence mattress cover from a place like Argos? Go for a reasonable quality, not the very cheapest; they also bind the smell somewhat. I am thinking about trialling that myself once I have recovered from all the vet bills of the last couple of months!

Status
Not open for further replies.