• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help! Does this sound good? from 13 year old book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinnamon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well i got a Guinea Pig beginners book for Christmas, its 13 years old, but i don't know if the food or anything else would be relevant

Its says these things for meals (morning,midday and evening)

Morning should consist of oats and green food (there is a corn section which they classify corn as oats, bran etc)
it say to put teh same amount of bran and oats together and add a little water to dampen it, Would that be ok for guinea pigs?

All i was wondering is the oats and bran, Mum bought a bag each of oats and bran.

I just wanted to find out before i started giving it to them
This would be their times and diet:

Morning:
Oats & Bran also a Salad (+ dry food & hay)
Afternoon:
Wild plants: grass, hay, clover
(+ dry food and hay)
Evening:
Greenfood dish (VEGGIE TIME)
(+ dry food, grass and hay for overnight)

thanks

Hi Cinnamon,

Hmmm, I think the oats and bran are a substitute for the dry food actually so I don't think you need to give both. I'm not totally sure though. Your guineas sure sound lucky though :))

Alyson x

Dried food would be the pellets you feed. I do give my piggies porridge and bran as a treat.

Oats and bran are good for piggies living outside, especially in the colder months. For indoors piggies, they should only be given in the way of an occasional treat as they can lead to obesity.

Too much clover is not good either (as is dandelion), but they are ok as part of the grazing experience.

Dry food (pellets) should be given according to the age - younger, still fast growing piggies need more than fully grown mature adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back