• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! I'm having a nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polypea

Reaction score
Hi all,

A little while ago you may remember I had been having an ongoing problem with my girly pig Speedy and diahorrea/very soft poo!

Well now my boar Nugget has diahorrea too :(, it actually started last Monday evening when I noticed there was squishy poo in their house and immediately thought it was Speedy again but soon discovered it was Nugget and he also had blood in his poo and coming out of his bottom! :0

Well as you can imagine alarm bells rang as I lost my piggy Scruffy to the same thing earlier in the year, so straight to the vet we went. :{
I must point out though Nugget did not appear unwell as such, he was still eating, drinking etc but was all puffed and hunched up and was making a little squeal type sound when he poo'd! :(
Anyway the vet said he was a bit bloated and felt the blood was coming from him trying to release his wind via poo!. She gave him pain relief, some baytril antibiotics and a pre/pro biotic in capsule form which she said I could seperate and sprinkle on his food!
The sprinkling on the food thing didn't work at all, he completely refused to eat anything that had this powder on it so I replaced it with fibreplex, that may have helped a little!

It's a week on and Nugget still has very soft squishy poo/diahorrea, he is eating well, drinking well and appears ok apart from the puffed/hunched up thing he does, which I know is not right! :(
I am taking him back to the vet tomorrow to get him checked again but I just don't know what I am doing wrong, this is the third piggie with diahorrea, sadly I lost Scruffy and Speedy appears alot better although still has the odd bout of diahorrea and now Nugget 8... is it something I am or not doing?
I'm sorry this post is so long, I'm just at my witts end now and not feeling like a very good piggy owner as they keep getting ill :(

Can anyone help me work this out, why it might be happening? :(

Thanks

Emmiiee

Reaction score
hmm what food are they on and what type of veg and how much do you give him x

Polypea

Reaction score
Hi

Dry food is Science Selective, they also have meadow hay & timothy hay all day long pretty much!

Veg is a bit of an issue because of Speedy as I realised some veg makes her poo's worse so they have veg/salad every other day rather than everyday and they usually have a mixture of only 3 types at a time but this is the overall selection they have:
Curly Kale
Carrot
Romaine lettuce
Baby corn
Spring green
Parsley
Brocolli
I don't give them all high bloating veg at the same time like kale, spring green & brocolli I will mix it with less bloating veg/salad.
I also give them dandelion leaves, chickweed and grass but this would be instead of the above not aswell as.

Does it sound ok? I have been thinking that I may have to start giving one type of veg/salad at a time, I'm wondering if this might reduce the chance of diahorrea? :{

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i was advised to stop veg and just give hay and pellets until diarhhoea stopped when mine had it x

Status
Not open for further replies.