• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help Me! - New Companion For Bereaved Boar Or Not?

Should I get a cage mate for him?

• Yes

• No

• No way

• Your choicw

Results are only viewable after voting.

Izzy Park

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my guinea pig just got put down yesterday after we found out it was having kidney failures. He was only about 2 and a half, and he has left his younger brother behind, who is about 2 and 4 months. This is still quite young, and me and my family are considering getting him a cagemate, but we don't know if we should because my current pig will be older, and they might fight. What is your opinions and should we get another pig? I want to, but I'm not sure if its the right decision.

Try to get one the same age. Introduce them on uncommon ground. A place where neither of them has been. Such as the kitchen floor in a pen. They will fight an little bit but that is normal. ONLY STOP THE FIGHT WHEN THERE IS BLOOD. Never stop the fight with your hands

Hi I'm very sorry for the loss of your piggy but I do belive you're doing the right thing in wanting to get a friend for the remaining one. As you've correctly put, 2 and 4 months is still relatively young when compared to the average lifespan of 6/7.

In terms of finding a friend- are there any rescues near you? Some rescues offer boar dating which allows your piggy to pick their friend and helps find a compatible mate. You could get a piggy of similar age or a baby. However, with a baby prepare for a potential fall out when it reaches the teenage months and hormones are high. I'd also recommend going for a piggy that has the opposite personality to yours so they don't clash. If yours is rather outgoing then go for a shy one etc. :)

Sorry about you loss .

I agree With Jesse'spigs about seeing if there is a rescue that offers a bonding service ..

Welcome to the Forum and I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your guinea pig.

The first place to start is reading this information:

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

And your parents are right - your remaining boy really does need a friend, and introducing a new guinea pig does not necessarily mean they will fight.
The best plan (as others have already said) is to try and contact a good local rescue who will help to pick a good match for your boy.
Many rescues will also take them and do the bonding part for you.

If this is not possible it might be worth reading some of these threads to help you to know what to expect if you need to bond them yourself.

Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs

Good luck - you sound like a very caring owner, and I hope you find a new friend for your boy soon.

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss! Kidney failure is very painful and incurable, so you have made the right decision, as heart-breaking as it is.
You are welcome to post a tribute to your piggy in our Rainbow Bridge section if or whenever it feels right for you.

No piggy is ever too old to be left on its own unless they decide so. The safest way of finding a new friend that is character compatible is by rescue dating your boar - provided that you can get to one of the recommended good standard rescues. You also have the rescue to fall back on in case there are problems along the way. When properly done, boar rescue dating can happen with boars of all ages, so you do not have the teenage hormone problem. The key to any boar bond is character compatibility and mutual liking, not age.
Here are our tips for looking after a bereaved piggy. They also contain links to recommended rescues. If you can tell us your country, state/province or UK county, we may be able to help with recommendations. We have got members from all over the world.
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Alternatively, you and your parents can consider having your boy neutered, provided that you have got a good and experienced guinea pig or small furries operating vet in order to keep the risk of post-op complications down.

Then your remaining boy could live with a sow or two after a 6 weeks safety wait. if you want to get guaranteed healthy and not pregnant sows, please go to a good standard rescue with a mandatory pregnancy watch and quarantine as well as medical care while in rescue. Rescue dating is always the best way of finding out whether piggies accept each other for a happy long term bond. The link above also contains links to recommended vets in several countries if wished.
(On the latter point: the little baby in my avatar picture, Tegan, is the unplanned daughter of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post-op boar, so it can really happen as late as that! It is not a one-off case)

Hi I'm very sorry for the loss of your piggy but I do belive you're doing the right thing in wanting to get a friend for the remaining one. As you've correctly put, 2 and 4 months is still relatively young when compared to the average lifespan of 6/7.

In terms of finding a friend- are there any rescues near you? Some rescues offer boar dating which allows your piggy to pick their friend and helps find a compatible mate. You could get a piggy of similar age or a baby. However, with a baby prepare for a potential fall out when it reaches the teenage months and hormones are high. I'd also recommend going for a piggy that has the opposite personality to yours so they don't clash. If yours is rather outgoing then go for a shy one etc. :)

Thank you so much

I'd like to thank everyone, I just adopted a new guinea pig and they are getting along well!

That is wonderful news! I sincerely hope that seeing your remaining boar happy will help you cope with your own loss better.

Congratulations on your new piggy, fingers crossed your two become great friends.

Back