• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help, My Guineapig Is Limping

Pookietheguinea

New Born Pup
Reaction score
my 4-5 year old guinea pig is limping. I know it's not broken, she hasn't fallen nor it seems broken or fractured or sprained. She has a fungle infection and I'm not sure if the limping is caused by that. I used to have her in cedar wood cage, but I switched to feleece on Christmas. My parents don't want to take her to the vet because of how expensive it is and because of how old she is (you know take her and spend money and for her to pass away not long after due to her age) my mom found this website saying that you can wash guineapigs with head and shoulders shampoo to get rid of the fungus and use athletes foot cream. I only washed her once (yesterday) and applied cream on her feet and one stop on her back. (I have applied the cream to spot on her back a few times and I think it's working) She is only infected on her back feet, legs, stomach, and a one tiny spot on her back. her whole underside is hairless (self-Barbing) She has 2 cysts and on her lower back and side as well as these weird bumps on her inside of her tummy. She has two small cysts and bump on her tummy for a while, but nothing seems to be bothering her with it. She started limping today and idk if it's because I applied the cream to it for the first time. It's red and has been red for a while. She is getting old and I received her from a family that was with her for about 1-2 years but idk how old she was when they got her. They never told me about her background.

I'm trying to convince my mom to let me take her to the vet (and I would pay with my own money)

my 4-5 year old guinea pig is limping. I know it's not broken, she hasn't fallen nor it seems broken or fractured or sprained. She has a fungle infection and I'm not sure if the limping is caused by that. I used to have her in cedar wood cage, but I switched to feleece on Christmas. My parents don't want to take her to the vet because of how expensive it is and because of how old she is (you know take her and spend money and for her to pass away not long after due to her age) my mom found this website saying that you can wash guineapigs with head and shoulders shampoo to get rid of the fungus and use athletes foot cream. I only washed her once (yesterday) and applied cream on her feet and one stop on her back. (I have applied the cream to spot on her back a few times and I think it's working) She is only infected on her back feet, legs, stomach, and a one tiny spot on her back. her whole underside is hairless (self-Barbing) She has 2 cysts and on her lower back and side as well as these weird bumps on her inside of her tummy. She has two small cysts and bump on her tummy for a while, but nothing seems to be bothering her with it. She started limping today and idk if it's because I applied the cream to it for the first time. It's red and has been red for a while. She is getting old and I received her from a family that was with her for about 1-2 years but idk how old she was when they got her. They never told me about her background.

Hi!

How old is your guinea pig? The average lifetime of a well looked after guinea pig is 5-7 years.

Please be aware that a sprain can happen at any joint from the shoulder/hip down to the feet and not just in the foot like we can twist any joint from the hip, knee, ankle or in a toe. The limping is certainly not connected to her fungal infection. You need to see a vet if the limping is getting worse or if it is not getting any better within a few days.

If you home treat on spec for a fungal infection, you need to apply the fungal bath at least three times with a space of three days in between. You need to wash the whole body, but need to be extremely careful around the ears, eyes (which can swell up really badly) and the mouth/nose. Use a cotton bud for the sensitive areas so no water is running into the ears or eyes.

Please wash your hands VERY carefully before and after you handle your guinea pig. Ideally you use disposable gloves. Some forms of fungal is infection are highly contagious, including to humans and other pets like dogs, cats etc. (ringworm). The time between infection and outbreak is 10-14 days.

Please ask your mum to invest at least in a vet strength good quality disinfectant like F10 that is proven to kill ringworm spores. It is in the end a lot cheaper than dealing with recurring infections for the next one and a half years. You also need wash any fleeces and clothing in contact with the fungal at a high temperature.
Please ask your mum to read this guide here: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Hi!

How old is your guinea pig? The average lifetime of a well looked after guinea pig is 5-7 years.

Please be aware that a sprain can happen at any joint from the shoulder/hip down to the feet and not just in the foot like we can twist any joint from the hip, knee, ankle or in a toe. The limping is certainly not connected to her fungal infection. You need to see a vet if the limping is getting worse or if it is not getting any better within a few days.

If you home treat on spec for a fungal infection, you need to apply the fungal bath at least three times with a space of three days in between. You need to wash the whole body, but need to be extremely careful around the ears, eyes (which can swell up really badly) and the mouth/nose. Use a cotton bud for the sensitive areas so no water is running into the ears or eyes.

Please wash your hands VERY carefully before and after you handle your guinea pig. Ideally you use disposable gloves. Some forms of fungal is infection are highly contagious, including to humans and other pets like dogs, cats etc. (ringworm). The time between infection and outbreak is 10-14 days.

Please ask your mum to invest at least in a vet strength good quality disinfectant like F10 that is proven to kill ringworm spores. It is in the end a lot cheaper than dealing with recurring infections for the next one and a half years. You also need wash any fleeces and clothing in contact with the fungal at a high temperature.
Please ask your mum to read this guide here: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

She is about 4 or 5 years old. Thank you so much for the help though. When I wash her, I washed her neck down and I didn't get water into her face. I sent my mom the link to the article. My mum an I did do research about ringworm and we suspected it was some other sort of fungle infection. (We will look into it again). I still washing my hands and change my clothes (if she touches my clothes) just in case. I will take all your other advice and helooks, thanks!

She is about 4 or 5 years old. Thank you so much for the help though. When I wash her, I washed her neck down and I didn't get water into her face. I sent my mom the link to the article. My mum an I did do research about ringworm and we suspected it was some other sort of fungle infection. (We will look into it again). I still washing my hands and change my clothes (if she touches my clothes) just in case. I will take all your other advice and helooks, thanks!
Help*

Please also gently wash her face; fungal spores can sit in the fur all over the body and cause further infections. Please also be aware that mange mites and fungal can look similar in the early stages.

i wouldnt use any shampoos or creams on guineapigs. if i would use a shampoo i would use some sort of baby shampoo though, because baby shampoo doesnt sting:no:

Maybe your mum could read this thread? We would never advise treating on spec as it can make things worse, please get her to a vet ASAP; if she is self barbering she could well be uncomfortable :(

Head and shoulders is formulated for treating dry scalps with dandruff, not mite treatment i'm afraid, you need to speak to a vet about a topical wash specifically designed with small animals in mind - I can't see the vet over charging you for treatment in this case, though they may suggest mite injections which I seem to remember was over three weeks, and involved 2 or 3 injections but it's been years since i've dealt with it.

Back