Help! My Piggies Are Too Messy...

mamiliro

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 2 piggies who just had their first birthday yesterday (date we got them, not actual birth). Before getting them, we did all the research - best cages, best bedding, how to get them to bond, food, hygiene, etc. I have been accused of spoiling them, being too strict on handling rules, and feeding them better than I feed my family, lol. I only say that so that you know that I did not buy them without knowing what to expect, and I have put my all into making sure that our piggies are safe, happy, and healthy.

That said, I am overwhelmed at the mess that they make and need help finding an easy fix. First, they shed like crazy! Everywhere! Their fleece is completely covered, so much so that shaking it out does not help! If I were to put it in a pillowcase to wash, the fleece will still be covered. I am a bit of a germophobe, so hairs all over the floor and clothes makes my skin crawl! I bought one of those rolling sticky things and can use 10 sheets of the sticky paper and not make a dent. We bought a de-shedder brush and that doesn't help either.

Second, they poo and pee EVERYWHERE! I know this is normal, I know this is the biggest joke about piggies - how do those little bodies produce so much poop?! But, so many people have posted how their pigs pick a corner and do their business there. My pigs poo in their dining area (this is a separate addition to the cage b/c we hoped they would use this as their main potty), in their bedrooms (cubbies), in the main part of the cage... And not just that, they flip up the corners of their fleece and bedding, and pee and poo under them! They spray their pee onto the sides of the cage liner, they poo against the sides of their cubbies - inside and outside! They pee and poo on the floors at floor time! And worst of all, they potty into their veggie bowl, their pellet bowl, and their hay rack! They have a 47X24 cage, plus the added "dining room" 25X20, and I had planned on getting them an additional 47X24 cage to add on when they hit 6 months, but frankly, I don't want to add twice the cleanup and twice the work.

All the research I did beforehand talked about picking up poo a couple of times a day, and washing fleece once or twice a week. No one mentioned that I would be washing dishes and cubbies every day, wiping up pee from under the fleece several times a day, putting up with smells until the next fleece washing, and praying each week that my washer and dryer don't go out every time I throw in those fur covered beddings.

They both seem healthy and happy - they come when called, popcorn around, chatter about when exploring all their tunnels that my daughter sets up for them at floor time, and love both when we open their door for floor time and when we call them back home to their cage. But I am frustrated and have wrestled with the idea of giving them away - though it would break my daughters heart and would make me sad as well. Any ideas on how to get them to stop covering the house in hair and waste?

SkinnyPigRiver

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does your fleece have an absorbent fabric beneath it? If not, that will help. Piggies do poop everywhere, but I've noticed the most popular areas ARE corners, their "kitchen," and the bedroom, so I have "furniture" or extra absorbent fleece pads. These can be washed a lot more easily and frequently than a big piece of fleece.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don't think you can stop hair getting on the fleece and piggies are toilet trainable though it is often quite tricky and they still do the odd ones anyway. Perhaps changing the bedding itself? Things like woodshavings or aspen bedding for example smells better and doesn't need washing but will need changing a little more and is more expensive because of buying fresh- though there are lots of different types of bedding you could try. Piggies are naturally messy and pooing alot us one of the best things you can have because it shows you that they're healthy and that there stomach etc is moving fine. I hope you don't decide to rehome them because they really are great pets once you get over the muck.

Washing fleece with white vinegar helps get rid of the smell of urine.

mamiliro

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a uhaul moving pad under the fleece and a fluffy towel, double folded under their cubbies (on top of the fleece and moving pad). Their dining area has pine bedding (supposedly all natural and dust free), and this actually does soak up the smell and lasts a while longer than the fleece, but not cheap or easily cleaned, so I hesitate to fill the whole cage with it. My main problems are the peeing on the walls of the cage and cubbies, under the fleece (they literally flip it up and expose the cage liner just to potty there), and inside their bowls.

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
You may be better off with a hemp based bedding . Aubiose is a very reasonable price if you have an equine supplier or pet supplies that stocks it.

JenniferG

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
are the bowls quite large, so that they're getting into them completely?

mamiliro

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks, Piggy Owner. I may try that.

No, JenniferG, the bowls are not big enough to climb into, they just turn their tushy's and aim! We complain that they are doing it on purpose to see how many times we will clean it. ;)

mamiliro

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Jesse's pigs, you're right, if they stopped pooing so much, we'd be worried about their health. Just that we've tried various methods to get them to keep it all in one place, but they just love to spread the joy!

I think trying a different bedding will be the way to go, since it will at least minimize the hair problem and maybe they'll stop peeing on the walls if the bedding is taller.

mamiliro

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ha! That would be something to see! They are quite precise with their aim, though, aren't they?

SkinnyPigRiver

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a uhaul moving pad under the fleece and a fluffy towel, double folded under their cubbies (on top of the fleece and moving pad). Their dining area has pine bedding (supposedly all natural and dust free), and this actually does soak up the smell and lasts a while longer than the fleece, but not cheap or easily cleaned, so I hesitate to fill the whole cage with it. My main problems are the peeing on the walls of the cage and cubbies, under the fleece (they literally flip it up and expose the cage liner just to potty there), and inside their bowls.
Wow. That's some serious mischief. Something I'm considering in part of our habitat is velcro. My pigs tend to push the ramp covers and their pee and poo gets under those. If I attach a strip of velcro it would hold in place, but it seems like a lot of work to do it for a whole cage liner!

My girls end up with pee on their feeding dishes, too. I've observed what happens though. It's a fight, and one of my sows sprays the other (and whatever is near) with pee. I have to wash them out at least once a week.

Skittypigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 2 piggies who just had their first birthday yesterday (date we got them, not actual birth). Before getting them, we did all the research - best cages, best bedding, how to get them to bond, food, hygiene, etc. I have been accused of spoiling them, being too strict on handling rules, and feeding them better than I feed my family, lol. I only say that so that you know that I did not buy them without knowing what to expect, and I have put my all into making sure that our piggies are safe, happy, and healthy.

That said, I am overwhelmed at the mess that they make and need help finding an easy fix. First, they shed like crazy! Everywhere! Their fleece is completely covered, so much so that shaking it out does not help! If I were to put it in a pillowcase to wash, the fleece will still be covered. I am a bit of a germophobe, so hairs all over the floor and clothes makes my skin crawl! I bought one of those rolling sticky things and can use 10 sheets of the sticky paper and not make a dent. We bought a de-shedder brush and that doesn't help either.

Second, they poo and pee EVERYWHERE! I know this is normal, I know this is the biggest joke about piggies - how do those little bodies produce so much poop?! But, so many people have posted how their pigs pick a corner and do their business there. My pigs poo in their dining area (this is a separate addition to the cage b/c we hoped they would use this as their main potty), in their bedrooms (cubbies), in the main part of the cage... And not just that, they flip up the corners of their fleece and bedding, and pee and poo under them! They spray their pee onto the sides of the cage liner, they poo against the sides of their cubbies - inside and outside! They pee and poo on the floors at floor time! And worst of all, they potty into their veggie bowl, their pellet bowl, and their hay rack! They have a 47X24 cage, plus the added "dining room" 25X20, and I had planned on getting them an additional 47X24 cage to add on when they hit 6 months, but frankly, I don't want to add twice the cleanup and twice the work.

All the research I did beforehand talked about picking up poo a couple of times a day, and washing fleece once or twice a week. No one mentioned that I would be washing dishes and cubbies every day, wiping up pee from under the fleece several times a day, putting up with smells until the next fleece washing, and praying each week that my washer and dryer don't go out every time I throw in those fur covered beddings.

They both seem healthy and happy - they come when called, popcorn around, chatter about when exploring all their tunnels that my daughter sets up for them at floor time, and love both when we open their door for floor time and when we call them back home to their cage. But I am frustrated and have wrestled with the idea of giving them away - though it would break my daughters heart and would make me sad as well. Any ideas on how to get them to stop covering the house in hair and waste?
Mine are quite messy and my new pair are hairy! Unfortunately I just clean more often! It comes with indoor piggies! I brush hair off and wash, it's not 100% hair free but I know it's clean?!

K_ob6

New Born Pup
Reaction score
How do you train them so they actually go poop and pee in the litter box?

Kylie80

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
The hair on the fleece I think is the only thing that frustrates me about piggie ownership and I am forever wiping out the washing machine. I find the hay and poos quite easy to scrape up since I started using a cat litter scoop with the pan although the hay requires a little bit more effort. "Who peed in their pellet bowl" is my most used saying in this house but when I say it they popcorn all over the place and I can't be mad at them, they are just too cute but I feel like it has definitely become a game for them. I hope that changing their bedding will make things a lot easier for you.

JenniferG

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I wash my fleeces in a horse bag to protect the machine from fur and hay.

Mine will mostly pee on their hay.

eileen

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
i use aubiose in my hutches and find it is excellent,with five piggies in a 7 feet hutch,it still has no odour or wet patches on the surface after seven days,it has really helped to reduce my work load,it is a great product.hope you find a workable solution.

Wigwig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
For washing, put things in a horse wash bag, it stops hairs getting in the machine. Just search it on amazon.

But the other stuff? I think you just have to accept guinea pigs are messy critters. I think boys are messier than girls, Archie loves to filth up everything. Last night he smeared a turd around his cave so theres a disgusting poop circle. I only clean his house etc once a week, if he makes a mess he has to deal with it tbh. It also helps having him outside most of the day so most of his poop is on the grass so I dont have to clear that up.

Jecf

_
Reaction score
Guinea pigs have 2 kinds of poop one is poop and other isnt really poop it's excreted waste from minerals and vitamins their body didn't absorb or need the second you will see most of all ...