help...new owner...think my piggy has had a stroke! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
help.......i got two piggies at xmas......both approx 10 week old at the time,
they are both males.

I was told there might be abit of disagreement until they find out which one is 'boss'

my poor little sandy and white one called Ham seemed to have a nasty wound to his face, like a chunk of fur missing and a red patch like he had been bitten?!
I havent witnessed any fighting or 'teeth chattering' just the occasional 'nudge'.

so i asked online about the 'bite' and was told that many guinea pigs get the odd nip at the beginning, and once they have sorted out who is in control they will be fine.

They were both happy piggies, eating, drinking etc.

but we started to see less and less of Ham....he just sat in his hut.
so this morning we took the lid of the hut to check on him...and hes seriously not a well piggy :(

his head is tilted to one side, he can barely walk, he staggers round in circles, and occasionally falls onto his back. he looks ever so ill!

ive had a quick look on the internet again and seem to think its either, mites, ear infection, or a stroke......the latter being the most probable?

I'm hoping to get him into the vets tomorrow....but hes alot lighter than Rex (my other piggy) he doesnt seem to have put any weight on at all.

he nibbles hay if i place it right near him, but he cant make his way to the drink bottle. we have to hold the drink bottle to his mouth for him.

he is currently seperated from Rex as of tonight.

he in a make-shift 'pen'

cloths on the floor, boxes all around to enclose him, a food bowl, hay and a cardboard hut. i wanted to give him a break from Rex just incase he was hounding him.

One thing i did notice is Rex doing alot of purring and waving of the hips.....in which I'm thinking he was trying to romance Ham?
so if he was trying to romance, rather than fight,...what has gone wrong....and why has poor Ham had a stroke...hes so young!

I'm not expecting him to be alive in the morning....hes drunk very little :(

Reaction score
no i went on the local vets website and they only have one 24 hour emergancy vet and its miles away :(
plus my kids are in bed and there nothing i can do :(

i just have no idea how this could have happened to such a young happy piggy!

there had been no fighting and no teeth chattering....just that one patch of fur missing, and i dont even know how that happened!

poor little dude its awful seeing him like this....we are still hand feeding his bottle for him at the minute :(

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please try and get Ham to see an emergency vet tonight. He needs urgent treatment. If he is not eating and drinking it is very serious.

You have done the right thing by separating them. The rumbling you describe is a sign of dominance between males. It sounds as if he has been attacked by the other male.

Will be thinking of your boy. x

Reaction score
he nibbles on hay (but his teeth make a crunching sound which ive never heard before?)
he doesnt seem to manage pellets or other food....since hes been in his 'run' hes only done one small poop

Reaction score
Could you syringe feed him? Or at least try mushing his pellets up with boiling water?

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
He needs to eat. You can make a pellet mash by pouring boiling water on the pellets and letting them cool. He might manage that. Or you can syringe feed it to him.

Reaction score
flips, yeah hes eating hay and drinking....but can only drink if we hold the bottle to his mouth.

will it most likely be a stroke, and what happens now at the vet....do they give meds or do they put to sleep? i have no idea! hes only so young!

ive listened to a few of the noises on the internet, from wheeking, purring, rumbling, to 'singing' and as far as i know he was doing the higher pitched purring and swaying his hips...which i thought was a mating sort of thing?

cant believe this has happened and we havent had them long! ive always had animals....but not been in this situation before...i feel really bad :(

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The mating thing is called rumblestrutting, where the pig sways their hips and purrs. It is the same thing they do to show dominance. It is not always a bad thing. My girls do it to each other when they are feeling stroppy.

Don't panic. Keep him warm. Try the pellet mash. If you have a syringe you can give him extra water this way as well.

Do you have any children's medication there at all? Calpol maybe. I don't know the dose so I'm going to try and find out. Pain relief will probably make him more comfortable.
If there's any way you can get him to the vet, please do.

Reaction score
Have you looked on guinea lynx website?

I hope it is not a stroke....if so I am not sure what happens. I know some piggies can recover from strokes.

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
do you have any infant calpol you can give him? where are you located? Please get him to a vet asap poor love x

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
it might be worth phoning the emergency vet and asking for advice.

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
0.2ml calpol twice a day. get a hot water bottle and wrap it in a towel and put it near him but not on him. can he walk? xx

CrawleyGuineaPigRescue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
have you got a plastic syringe? one of the ones with increments of 0.1ml? if you have then try and get at least 1ml of luke warm water syringed ever so slowly into him, go at his pace, if you have never syringe fed before put the tip of the syringe between his front and back teeth and let a drop go into his mouth at a time.

If the wound is big he may of got an infection that has affected his ear and balance, he does need antibiotics for that. If its a stroke then its hourly fluids 1ml alternating with hourly syringe food, even if its mashed up pellets in water with some cucumber put in the blender to get some nutrition in him.

Do you have syringes indoors?

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i would try and phone an emergency vet, like someone else said, just for advice if nothing else, poor little love x

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies,

i did have asyringe somewhere...it was one my son brought home from hospital...the nurse gave it him as a 'water pistol' but i have no idea where it went :(

i never knew * could give guinea pigs calpol! 0.2ml...roughly how much of a spoonful is that?

the hard thing is, is because hes so new he isnt used to us yet....obviously he is in no fit state to run away but i havent handled him since as i fear it may make him anxious/stress him out as he not used to us yet. am i doing the right thing? i just keep offering him water.

i ahve no cucumber either :(
the food i have is a mixture of pellets, flakes, bits of hay etc....its the guinea pig food that comes mixed in a bag....what can i do with that?

SophieCyde

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do you have any bran? you could make him a bran mash?

Keep him warm and make sure he has plenty to eat and drink if he wants it

hope he's ok , fingers and paws crossed over here:(

Status
Not open for further replies.