• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

help please,desperate and dont know what to do :S ****SORTED!****

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bethcarrots

hi

our guinea pig squirty (self cream) ;D
had a litter of babies last week and as you all know
you cant seperate the babies at 1 week i am only
saying this becuse the mum (squirty)has bad dioreha
and i dont know what to do :S its not relly bad that she has to go to the vets(we cant go anyway because the cars at the garage til fri)so i need some people to come up with home herapies?! :-\

so please leave a comment ?

beth :(

Re: help please,desperate and dont know what to do :S

My only comment is to ring your vet, make an appointment and call a taxi or friend to take you there.

You must realise that diarrhoea can be quickly fatal in guinea pigs. There can be several causes, from dietry change to the more serious type caused by bacterial infection. Diarrhoea can also be secondary to more serious underlying disease. Antibiotics may be required and these can only be prescribed by your veterinary surgeon.

Your guinea pig needs to be seen by a vet this evening.

Please let us know what you vet says and how Squirty gets on. Please don't try and self treat at home, not when she is nursing babies and as you say, the diarrrhoea is bad.

Barbara

As Barbara has said your piggie needs the vets. It is especially important that you get her there as it is not just her life in the balance but her babies too.

Your username suggests you may be a breeder - do you have another nursing mother who could 'foster' her babies?

Please get her to the vet asap and until you get her there give her lots of water of ideally rehydration fluid by syringe to keep her system going.

hi yes i am a breeder and no :( squirty shouled be going to the vets today :)

Vets is a must but in the meantime you can offer her diarolyte (rehydration) and remove any veggies too for now... Do let us know how she gets on!

Do let us know how she gets on, promt and proffessional treatment is a must in cases like this if they are to have a good chance of recovery. I've called the emergency vet into their surgery at 11pm at night when we had a little rescue poorly with diarrhoea. You shouldn't take chances, it's the guineas life at risk.

Hope Squirty is okay, how are her babies?

A breeder and only 14?

Hope the pig and babies are ok.

Alex said:
A breeder and only 14?

Hope the pig and babies are ok.

You are very young to be breeding guinea pigs...I hope you parents are supportive and happy to pay for the vet bills.

Anyway, i've just checked your post out hoping to see a positive update, how is Squirty today and what did your vet say? I hope everything is okay?

Barbara

let us know how squirty is, as said before its critical she is treated but i would have thought you would know this , its basic cavy care, diarrhoea can and does kill, and as said before her babies are at risk as well, fingers crossed its a minor thing but you never can tell, sweetheart maybe you should make your self a cavy medical box mine has all sorts in it and I often use it, actually its 2 hugh drawers full, and rehydration powder is a must as is probiotics which helps with diarrhoea,

I wonder what happened to this little one and if she got the veterinary treatment she desperately needed :-\
I worry so much when I read this type of post :(##

Barbara

No update ?
Anyone heard anything?

Barbara

I just emailed her and gave her the link to the thread, reminding her we are all concerned whats the matter with the piggie and how she is getting on...

Abnoba said:
I just emailed her and gave her the link to the thread, reminding her we are all concerned whats the matter with the piggie and how she is getting on...

That's great, I hope everything is okay now. It would be lovely to hear how things went and hopefully it is good news.

Barbara

Hmm... I dont know what to do. Just see what the vet says. Or look up some other vets in your area and you could just ask a quick question on what to do.

*~GuineaPiggable~*

Hope the little piggy did get to the vets and is on some medication. As we all know prompt veterinary attention is a must with a poorly pig.

Hope Mummy pig has seen a vet and is better. I have lost a piggy to what started out as diareah and would always be vigilant about this in future. Especially with little lives relying on Mummys milk or at risk of infection if its bacterial. Would like to here news... hoping its happy

hi

sorry i havent replyd shes recovering and I'm now recovering from flu so thats why i havent been on!sorry!

beth :-*

How is she and the babies. Hope you are feeling better to!

Pleased to hear mum and babies are on the mend, what treatment did the vet prescribe?
Hope you soon feel better as well :)

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back