• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help Settling

molzify

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Today I paid for my guinea pig girls and am getting things ready before they come home but I have a specific question. Basically, I work at the pet store and handle my ladies on a daily basis, so they are used to me picking them up and being around them but obviously they are still going be in need of settling, so does anyone have any tips for helping them to settle bearing in mind they know me already.

My girl's names are Pumpkin and Bramble for anyone interested :)

Adorable names - make sure you show us some pictures when you get them :)

I would make sure they have hideys so they can hide if they feel they need too. Talk to them and be patient - they may take time to get used to their new environment :) x

When I brought my two in, I gave them plenty of hidey’s to hide in when they felt unsafe. Their hutch is in my room, which is quiet and allowed them to get used to all the new smells and sights without any big noise scaring them. Then after a couple of hours I quietly lay by the hutch and talk to them gentley so that they get used to my voice and smell.

Hope that Pumpkin and Bramble bring you many years of popcorning and wheeking! Their names suit the Autumn season:)

It’s definately the new environment which will make them shy for a day or two, however you might find picking them up to be a bit easier as you say they are used to you. I would leave them to settle in for a day before picking them up. Also, are they together at the shop already?

Yes we only sell bonded pairs, so they were bonded from before they even arrived at the store.

hi love the names by the way..
I adopetd to girls baxk in August the lady i adopted them off said they were used to being picked up ect but whdn they came to me they both hid away as there is different smells anx sounds which you have to take in to account and if there are any other people in your house.. all I done to settle my 2 girls was sit next to their cage with the door open talked to them and then eventually the got to trust me and realise I wasn't a preditor just someone who wanted to be there friend and now the relasionship we have after 2 months is great they went from shy skitty piggies to confident piggies at I let them settle and build trust before attempting to do anything they wernt happy with and I am so glad I did rush things.. I know you have said they know you and you handle them but thats in the pet shop just remeber its going to be all new to them hope this helps 😀
1st pic the day they came to me
2nd pic few days later
3rd pic now20180824_130744.jpg20180827_121304.jpg20180912_124331.jpg

Back