• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help with a Fancy Syrian Bear Hamster

CharleneN

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My brother just got a little hamster and we are trying to find out the best things to feed him and how to care for his other needs such as grooming and cage arrangements. Any help would be very appreciated.

I have always fed my hamsters and gerbils Wagg hamster gerbil and mouse munch.

Don’t buy a tall wire cage. The reason I say this is because I have a friend who had such a cage. Her hamster was a climber who fell from the top of the cage and broke his back :(

I have always fed my hamsters and gerbils Wagg hamster gerbil and mouse munch.

Don’t buy a tall wire cage. The reason I say this is because I have a friend who had such a cage. Her hamster was a climber who fell from the top of the cage and broke his back :(

Thank you.

As for grooming, you can use a soft baby brush or a soft baby toothbrush :)

Alternatively, pet shops sell grooming brushes for small animals

Thank you, I have those already because of my guinea pigs so no need to buy any more :D

I feed my hamster on Harry hamster food ,treat wise is a monkey nut,and fluffy bedding ,I just find out hamsters love boil egg and chicken that what save my 2 year old hamster because she stop eating and play dead when we got the dog.

Love to see a picture of your hamster ? This is my hamster 20170212_083850.jpg20180330_180955.jpg

I'll send a picture when he's more settled in. Seeing as how we just got him today it would probably be too stressful. Thank you for the advice, very appreciated.

My hamster wanted to be with me as soon has I got her !

When you do get the hamster out try a bit of food in your hand etc,my love rich tea biscuits as well

A brilliant and cheap hamster food is Harry Hamster. It's about £2.90 a bag and is one of the top foods out there for hamsters.
As for cages, the minimum cage size last time I checked is 80x50 cm. If you bought your cage from a pet store it's probably too small. The Alaska cage from Zooplus is a good, cheap option. It's only £32 with free delivery I believe. Also Syrians need quite large wheels, make the sure the wheel you get is big enough so that the hamsters back is not arched at all when using it. The wheel size for Syrians is a MINIMUM of 8 inches, I think mine is 11 inches though and I wouldn't go any smaller.
The food list you posted looks about right to me! Hamsters can have a way more varied diet than guinea pigs.

A brilliant and cheap hamster food is Harry Hamster. It's about £2.90 a bag and is one of the top foods out there for hamsters.
As for cages, the minimum cage size last time I checked is 80x50 cm. If you bought your cage from a pet store it's probably too small. The Alaska cage from Zooplus is a good, cheap option. It's only £32 with free delivery I believe. Also Syrians need quite large wheels, make the sure the wheel you get is big enough so that the hamsters back is not arched at all when using it. The wheel size for Syrians is a MINIMUM of 8 inches, I think mine is 11 inches though and I wouldn't go any smaller.
The food list you posted looks about right to me! Hamsters can have a way more varied diet than guinea pigs.
Thank you so much. I'll be sure to tell my brother

Back