• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Help With New Piggies! Calcium Deposits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kim3

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all.
I posted on Saturday about getting 2 7week old sows. Today have cleaned them out and find white stains on their cardboard hidey box.
R they getting too much calcium?
I'm feeding them science selective as the lady i got them from said to give them it.

White pee and deposits can be a sign of excess calcium being removed I think.
Not sure if it's anything to worry about- I'm sure someone will be along to either confirm and deny this...

White calcium deposits are totally normal. Just check them for grainy like slush regularly, then it might be time to review their diet and just check with the vet that all is well :)
What veggies are you feeding them at the moment?

Thanx, so relieved to hear its normal!
So far i have given them
Carrot
Green beans
Half a grape each
Cucumber
Cauliflower leaves
Broccoli stem and flower

Thanx have read that thread many times and didnt think i was giving them alot of high calcium veg?

Thanx have read that thread many times and didnt think i was giving them alot of high calcium veg?

The less calcium you give the more sensitive to it your piggies get; you can get calcium pees even on an extremely low level calcium diet. Unless you are dealing with a bladder/kidney/chronic UTI problem piggy, you should be perfectly OK on a low to medium diet with the occasional calcium pee. Guinea pigs need a certain amount of calcium and magnesium in their diet.

I've just treated my boys to batman fleece with a black background. Today is cage cleaning day and there are at least 5 white spots to vinegar out! I give my boys a balanced diet with spring greens the odd bit of broccoli every few days, other than that, a rather low calcium diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back