• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Helped Along A Poorly Hedgehog!

TheLottiediarys

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Woke up Sunday morning to find an apparently dead hedgehog on my drive way! :o

Being a huge animal lover obviously I was very upset and went to see if I could figure out what had happened.... only to find he was still alive!
Poor thing was still breathing and flys were harassing it!
And I did notice some cats hanging around as well.

I rushed inside and got my boyfriend to bring out a tea towel and a box!
We pick him up and took him out the backgarden were we've got long grass so he could either get his strength back or pass away peacefully without being harassed by the cats and out of the sun because it was quite hot that day.

Only to find him being harassed by another cat ten minutes later, and he just lay there, he didn't curl and defend himself at all :/ :/
Obviously this wasn't working so I got the pet carrier and put him in it and then put it in the empty Guinea Pig Hutch,
That way he wouldnt be being harassed by cats!
I phoned a few rescues to see what I should do in this situation,
Found a great hedgehog rescue on facebook who talked me though giving him some food and water because after about 20 minutes in the shade he was walking around,
By gosh he wolfed the food down then fell asleep!

The rescue said he looked like a young hog who had got dehydrated in the early morning, she said if he was walking ok and wasnt i hurt by the cats then we could release him in the garden, so we did!
I caught some moments of it on camera!

I felt very good about helping this little guy out!
I nicknamed him Herbert while he was with us :)

received_899048010260080.jpeg a46ada35-db66-4a5a-9ead-63b766aa1018.20170917_142535.mp4.gif 9d62368d-b631-4309-97ec-128806ad9f47.20170917_212717.mp4.gif

Excellent, well done! It feels very rewarding doesn't it :luv:
I volunteer with my local hedgehog rescue, I pop in most weeks to help clean outs, feeding, weighing etc... you can help your hoggy friend more by leaving out cat food mixed with dried meal worms. The mealworms should deter the cats but if not, you can make a simple hedgehog feeding station out of an underbed storage box
image.jpg image.jpg

Awww... love it! I always wish we had hedgehogs in Canada. I used to keep African Pygmy hedgehogs as pets... I had three over the course of 12 years or so. Two were great little pets, the third was a rescue who had been neglected and never ever liked us, but she was still fascinating to watch!

Here's a picture of Hawthorne... such a sweet girl!
10399316_48177455556_6511_n.jpg

Well done for saving him!:yahoo:
He'll still have enough time to fatten himself up to be ready for hibernation.
I leave food and water for the wild hoggies who visit our garden every night and use wildlife cameras to monitor their activities. It's great fun!

@Tim Couldn't agree more... It's so rewarding to help them, isn't it?
I also start working at my local hedgehog rescue as a volunteer this weekend, like cleaning boxes etc. Can't wait! :D

Awww, that was a lovely to thing to read. Well done you, he looks super cute. Hope Herbert is doing well back in his own habitat and one day you might catch a glimpse of him :)

@Tim Couldn't agree more... It's so rewarding to help them, isn't it?
I also start working at my local hedgehog rescue as a volunteer this weekend, like cleaning boxes etc. Can't wait! :D

Excellent, good for you! :yahoo:
I love it, although there is heartbreak nearly every time I go back to help. Some hoglets are just too weak and don't make it :( We try our best to give them a chance in life. There are about 25 in the rescue I volunteer for and several more in foster care. My favourite has to be the three babies all living together, so cute! :luv: I'll try and get a photo next time I go ;)

Awww, that was a lovely to thing to read. Well done you, he looks super cute. Hope Herbert is doing well back in his own habitat and one day you might catch a glimpse of him :)

I'm sure any time I see a Hog in the garden now I'll wonder if it was little Herbert :)

Excellent, good for you! :yahoo:
I love it, although there is heartbreak nearly every time I go back to help. Some hoglets are just too weak and don't make it :( We try our best to give them a chance in life. There are about 25 in the rescue I volunteer for and several more in foster care. My favourite has to be the three babies all living together, so cute! :luv: I'll try and get a photo next time I go ;)

It's so sad when they die but Atleast we are helping them and giving them a chance! :)

Woke up Sunday morning to find an apparently dead hedgehog on my drive way! :o

Being a huge animal lover obviously I was very upset and went to see if I could figure out what had happened.... only to find he was still alive!
Poor thing was still breathing and flys were harassing it!
And I did notice some cats hanging around as well.

I rushed inside and got my boyfriend to bring out a tea towel and a box!
We pick him up and took him out the backgarden were we've got long grass so he could either get his strength back or pass away peacefully without being harassed by the cats and out of the sun because it was quite hot that day.

Only to find him being harassed by another cat ten minutes later, and he just lay there, he didn't curl and defend himself at all :/ :/
Obviously this wasn't working so I got the pet carrier and put him in it and then put it in the empty Guinea Pig Hutch,
That way he wouldnt be being harassed by cats!
I phoned a few rescues to see what I should do in this situation,
Found a great hedgehog rescue on facebook who talked me though giving him some food and water because after about 20 minutes in the shade he was walking around,
By gosh he wolfed the food down then fell asleep!

The rescue said he looked like a young hog who had got dehydrated in the early morning, she said if he was walking ok and wasnt i hurt by the cats then we could release him in the garden, so we did!
I caught some moments of it on camera!

I felt very good about helping this little guy out!
I nicknamed him Herbert while he was with us :)

View attachment 71122 View attachment 71123 View attachment 71124

Such a cute little fella! Lucky he found himself on your driveway, glad it was a happy ending :)

Back