• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hey Guys! We Would Like To Share With Our Guinea Pigs How We Keep In Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea Days

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hey guys, we would like to share with you how our guinea pigs stay in healthy and good quality shape. (well apart from one of our guinea pigs has a big but...!) pluss advise on what kind of games may interest them.

so lets start with their favourite: the hutch. This is a little wooden, home made house. brilliant for them to jump on top, hide inside and even sharpen their teeth on. We normally put like... I don't know... a little treat on the top to encourage them to jump up on.:yahoo:

Next up the tube: Our piggys LOVE to run in and out it in the summer as it creates some brilliantt shade for them when hot. (suggestion; see through material is the best for this)you can easily buy a plastic or cardboard tunnel from the shops.

Another tip: We make sure that every day (n/a to snow or bad weather!) that they go out side for some fresh air and give them a plenty full choice of salad. However we recommend that they have a massive area to run around in, at least once every three 3 days.

Finally our guinea pigs adore to have a little bell hanging from there indoor cage. We have one with big holes inside so that we can stuff it with food for them to have a challenge and try to get it out to eat! This can be brought from any pet shop.(most):D

We hope this helps you guys, Please mention some suggestions of you own down in the comments.:cool:

please :like: thanks guys. bye x

GuineaDays

Lots and lots and lots of excellent quality hay in a litter tray. Hay in hay racks and lovely snuggly fleece for the rest of the cage.

Plenty of fresh herbs and green veg.

Lots and lots of love!

Some good tips :)

Space and enrichment are the key, and enrichment comes in many guises.

Space: If ever you find that you get your hands on some old "how to keep your guinea pig" guides you may find that they recommend a small hutch to help them to feel safe. A hutch as in their entire living space, not just their hiding place. Some people still believe that to this day, or perhaps choose to believe it.
I realise that everyone's circumstances differ in what size of housing they can fit into their house but the bigger their cage/housing the better.

Once you have a nice big space they can have the benefits of permanently being able to run, chase, popcorn, get away from one another when needed, and do zoomies which youngsters (and even some oldies) love to do. They also have to walk further to get from one thing to another.
Multi-level cages I find are a great way of expanding their cage and they have the benefit of having to walk up shallow ramps. Shallow is the key, and comfortable. Most piggies do not like steep ramps. A multi level cage does not make up for lack of floor space. Their main level should have plenty of room for running around whilst still being able to fit in enrichment items, but extra levels adds to their enrichment overall.

Then as mentioned, hides and tunnels are firm favourites and some kind of shelter in an outdoor run is a must. I would go further and say that at least half of their run should be completely shaded, the tunnels are necessary for feeling of safety but shading should be provided anyhow for when they wish to be out in the open eating the grass.

Then there's other enrichment - fleece forests, cosies of various kinds

Out-of-cage-time: the outdoor run, or an indoor one, and exploring your settee/couch with you/with their cage-mates. They really appreciate a good run. If you have the type of set-up where you can fit a run to the normal cage then this is best of all, as you will see them come and go throughout the day, and if their human can fit in the run then even better! once tame they may enjoy climbing on and off your lap etc, and generally investigating you. A tip for parents: children often enjoy sitting in an open run with the guinea pigs and is just one of many ways of helping to prevent the "I've lost interest in my guinea pigs, can I have a new pet" syndrome.

The most important thing of all - companionship - another piggy

My two sows LOVE their fleece forest. They dont really cuddle together but do like to eat together. They seem to enjoy simple toys like cardboard loo roll inners filled with hay/veg/herbs and willow balls to chew.

Another tip: We make sure that every day (n/a to snow or bad weather!) that they go out side for some fresh air

Sorry - I don't agree with this tip . It's not just about avoiding snow or bad weather . In winter , even if the weather is fair and the air temperature is reasonable, the ground is too cold . I agree that guineas should have as much time as possible to run around ( 3 times a week is a good tip ) . But, in winter , Guineas ( especially indoor Guineas) as best getting their exercise by having floor time indoors .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back