Junior Guinea Pig
- Apr 19, 2015
- Reaction score
Can u guys recommend a really good treat that doesn't include hay or readigrass?
Love this! So making it this weekend! Thank you xReadigrass and Fruit/Veggie Balls..
Guinea pig and Hamster Treat recipe:
Â½ an apple
3 large handfuls of oats
A dash of water
A large handful of Guinea pig/ hamster nuggets
Making the treats:
1) Peel the carrots and cut the top and tail off them. Do the same for the apple and be sure to remove any pips.
2) Grate the carrots and apple into a mixing bowl.
3) Add the oats, mix together using hands to ensure you have an even mixture.
4) Using the blender blitz the Guinea pig/hamster nuggets until they are in a powdered, or crushed up form.
5) Add to the mixing bowl, followed by a dash of water to help the mixture bind.
6) Preheat the oven to 120 oC.
7) At this point, if you are making hamster treats, you should roll and mould the mixture into small balls and place on the baking tray.
8) If you are creating guinea pig treats, quickly blitz the Readigrass in the blender and then add to the mix.
9) Knead this mixture to create an even mix.
10) Mould them into slightly larger balls and place on the baking tray.
11) Place them in the oven and leave to cook for 1 and a half hours.
12) Take them out of the oven and place onto a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
13) Feed to your Piggies and Hamsters!
-To create a hanging chew toy, place a bent paper clip in the end of the treat before it begins to cool, it will set around the clip and thus allow you to attach it to the cage. You can also experiment with different shaped treats.
-Store in an air tight container to ensure they stay hard and fresh.
-Only feed very occasionally
Check that's OK cookie I didn't think they could have iced veggies, run it through someone?Love these recipes! I will definitely be making some. When its a hot day, I chop up my piggies favourite fresh veggies and put them in ice cube trays with some water. Leave them overnight in the freezer and then give them to the pigs! Its like an ice lolly for them
Are these ok for guinea pigs, i've never heard of piggies eating oats before.Se connecter à Facebook | Facebook - this is a rabbit group on Facebook who makes healthy treats and I think the proceeds go to her rescue. I haven't bought any yet but my friend bought some for her rabbits and is eagerly awaiting their delivery! They do look good, you would have to join the group before seeing the different flavours, but there are loads and loads.
I agree with above when we adopted one of our boys he came from the animal rescue that didn't have much money and he was rather underweight for his age. We fed him oats alongside normal veggie and bag diet to speed the process up as he was very very small. XAs far as I'm aware piggies can be fed oats, although I think they can be quite fattening so only in small amounts/in moderation. I've seen people suggest them as winter addition to their diet to keep weight on some piggies.