• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hormone Imbalance

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gem x

What can be done for a guinea with a Hormone Imbalance?

I'm off to the vet tomorrow with Rosie, a new vet to see if we can sort out her mysterious hair loss

Reaction score
I had a pig daisy who lost her hair through hormone imbalance some thing to do with her overys, she lived years with sparse hair, and now I believe Muffins losing her hair from her legs for same reason, have got a babarer in the run but would not account for her loss on her legs, will be interested to hear what your pigs hormone imbalance is caused by,

daftscotslass

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In sows hormonal imbalance is usually caused by cystic ovaries. Depending on the level of severity it can be treated with injections or a spay. I had a sow with very cystic ovaries who showed symptoms of hair loss, enlarged crusty nipples and PMS-y type behaviour like mounting.

Cystic ovaries can usually be seen on an x-ray but if an x-ray DOESNT show them it doesn't necessarily rule them out.

H

hils78

Ultra sound is much better to see cystic ovaries although with a good rodentologist you shouldn't have to do even that. I don't know where you live (maybe Scotland by your name!) but if you're able to get to Huntingdon go to the Cambridge Cavy Trust (CCT). There's loads of info on here about them.
I've had a thread running about my sow with Ovarian Cysts. Might be worth having a read of that too.
My sow didn't show any different behaviour, loss of hair or dodgy nipples! (just thinking of the searches that will be looking at this thread!). Mine just looked very pregnant!

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.