• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Horny Foot Spur

Status
Not open for further replies.

acapae

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ruan's grown a horny spur on one of his front feet in the time since I last did his claws. Thankfully on the easily accessible outside. I've clipped it back to reduce the chance of it catching on anything.

Is it recommended in piggies to moisturise? And if so, are there any particularly recommended safe things to use?

Ruan's grown a horny spur on one of his front feet in the time since I last did his claws. Thankfully on the easily accessible outside. I've clipped it back to reduce the chance of it catching on anything.

Is it recommended in piggies to moisturise? And if so, are there any particularly recommended safe things to use?

Hi! it is most likely a foot spur; they are very common in guinea pigs. They only need addressing if they are really at risk of catching. Make sure that you never cut too close to live skin, as that can cause bleeding and a lot of pain.
Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Feet and Foot Problems

Yep, I didn't think it could be anything other than a horny spur. It was definitely long enough to catch before I trimmed it, but I've not taken it all the way back for that reason :) Ruan needs his claws trimmed more regularly than Perran does, so it should be easy to keep an eye on speed of growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back